Why Fiverr is taking a percent amount of my tipping money?

crusenhoiho

sam-dan-truong--rF4kuvgHhU-unsplash.thumb.jpg.58d4b6a1cf64101edf9734a0bee53e19.jpg
sam-dan-truong--rF4kuvgHhU-unsplash6000×4000 2.49 MB

Hi, I am a graphic designer and a Fiverr seller. And some of you may agree with me about this topic.

I thought the whole point of tipping money or tips from a customer is the personal extra bonus earning that you get from a customer and it’s completely different revenue from the business you are working with.

From the title, it explains everything about my problem, and please explain if someone knows about this or having the same issue as I, can voice it out together on how exactly is the Fiverr’s agreement/policy and such. Or did I miss something out? it should have been like this all the time?

As far as I know Fiverr has always taken 20 percent of tips.

As a seller it can feel like a kick in the teeth (as Fiverr has already had their revenue from the order, so why take more money from my personal reward for a job well done?).

On the other hand I can understand how some buyers and sellers would try and arrange deals between them (I’ll place a $5 order but give you a $60 tip… that way as the buyer I pay less, and as the seller you receive more).

It’s just the way that Fiverr is. I think the system is fairly transparent. Fiverr takes 20 percent of all money paid to sellers.

Hi, I am a graphic designer and a Fiverr seller. And some of you may agree with me about this topic.

I thought the whole point of tipping money or tips from a customer is the personal extra bonus earning that you get from a customer and it’s completely different revenue from the business you are working with.

From the title, it explains everything about my problem, and please explain if someone knows about this or having the same issue as I, can voice it out together on how exactly is the Fiverr’s agreement/policy and such. Or did I miss something out? it should have been like this all the time?

please explain if someone knows about this

If you type “Fiverr taking 20% from tips” in the search bar above you will find numerous posts on this much discussed topic.

Well, I have an issue with it because the tip is intended for me and the extra effort I put in, not for the site itself. The site, in my opinion, should be entitled to 20% of the initial transaction for facilitating it, not the tip. But the rules are the rules.

Emotionally I agree with you.

But as I said, the system is fairly transparent if you (meaning everyone) chose to read the rules around tips.

It only comes as a shock to those sellers who sign up to Fiverr, and tick the box that says they’ve read and agree to everything - when in fact they haven’t!

As a seller it can feel like a kick in the teeth (as Fiverr has already had their revenue from the order, so why take more money from my personal reward for a job well done?).

On the other hand I can understand how some buyers and sellers would try and arrange deals between them (I’ll place a $5 order but give you a $60 tip… that way as the buyer I pay less, and as the seller you receive more).

It’s just the way that Fiverr is. I think the system is fairly transparent. Fiverr takes 20 percent of all money paid to sellers.

We all must have to agree with you. Fiverr is the company and we are the individual worker under this company. We come here to work/earn and before that we were agree all the terms and condition though.

Because they’re playground bullies snacking on your lunch money (just kidding). I think it’s to circumvent what others have already mentioned in the post. I honestly prefer that it’s a constant 20% throughout rather than say 10% for tips because that then might give a lot of people ideas to skirt around the loopholes which hurts both the platform and the integrity of sellers in the long run

Because they’re playground bullies snacking on your lunch money (just kidding). I think it’s to circumvent what others have already mentioned in the post. I honestly prefer that it’s a constant 20% throughout rather than say 10% for tips because that then might give a lot of people ideas to skirt around the loopholes which hurts both the platform and the integrity of sellers in the long run

might give a lot of people ideas to skirt around the loopholes which hurts both the platform and the integrity of sellers in the long run

I disagree.

• Honest people won’t do this.

• If 2 dishonest people do this, then they deserve each other. The dishonest buyer pays $5, accepts order, then leaves without tipping. The dishonest seller is out of money.

Dishonest seller has no one to turn to. Scammers beget scammers. 🤨

might give a lot of people ideas to skirt around the loopholes which hurts both the platform and the integrity of sellers in the long run

I disagree.

• Honest people won’t do this.

• If 2 dishonest people do this, then they deserve each other. The dishonest buyer pays $5, accepts order, then leaves without tipping. The dishonest seller is out of money.

Dishonest seller has no one to turn to. Scammers beget scammers. 🤨

In which case, it’s even BETTER that it’s taxed the same for the seller as well! Sorry, I didn’t have the wavelength to think about it from a scammer’s perspective haha.

You are Right, also the Fiverr is right

• 1 month later...

This is a business brother. They also have the operational cost to run their business. If they don’t take percentage from us. How they will survive.

I understand it’s a business cost but tipping money is an entire different thing for the seller, tipping should be a personal extra earning from the buyer, Fiverr already take 20% from the gig I agree with that but not the tipping too frowning: I mean it’s a common-sense right? the boss shouldn’t take the waiter’s tips.

From a logical/business perspective I understand why Fiverr does it, but it boggles my mind how the forum in general just came to accept as the universal truth that they do it, because otherwise people would game the system.

I imagine going to a restaurant, and upon learning that management dips into the staff’s tipping jar, being told they do this cause otherwise staff would just undercharge patrons in order to receive the exceeding amount in the form of gratuity.

Yes, it’s a big market and some people would most likely do that, some of them would get scammed out of their money (karma working at its finest) and some would get away with it. Truth is it would be really easy to find a pattern and punish those doing that.

But, as a business owner, if someone were to tell me: Do you want to spend more money in order to make less money? I’d probably have the same posture as Fiverr does tbh, which is why I understand why they do it, but I think we need to stop making it sound like they have no choice cause most users would just jump in the first opportunity to scam the system in place in order to make a an extra 20% on what most likely would be a symbolic value to begin with.

Primarily working as a WordPress Developer I’d say I had access to over 90% of all my buyer’s emails. How many emails have I sent them? How many buyers have I tried to take away of the platform? And believe me when I say I’ve had more than a few legit buyers proposing it to me.

Edit: Ops, didn’t mean to direct that at you Gina

but it boggles my mind how the forum in general just came to accept as the universal truth

I’m pretty sure it happened with other things too, we humans as a whole are a very adaptable species, can get used to pretty much anything if it goes on long enough, and probably, we just collectively accept such “truths” after having lost far too much time discussing and rediscussing them. It’s not acceptance of the fact per se but more an acceptance of “it’s probably not gonna change” and “I got more important things to do with my life, like keeping up with the latest meme thread” because “furrowed brows aren’t pretty but laughing is healthy”. 😉

It’s because of money transfers imagine, somebody hacked somebodys account ordered a gig for 5 usd and gave like few thousand tip just to transfer money. Thats the reason

I think you got the point, Fiverr doesn’t want to feel disadvantage on every aspects including commission and tipping.

I felt bad the first time I was being tipped and find out that 20% was taken away from my tip. Me:😳! But when I think of the system giving buyers the option to give tip to sellers. It sounds a good idea because if fiverr chose not to let buyer leave you a tip. No way you can get a tip because tip is given after completion.

I made myself understand the situation.

Fiverr gave buyers tipping option.
Seller gets tip from buyer.
It’s a win win situation.
Fiverr benefits 20% and sellers benefits 80% from the tip.
If fiverr didn’t give the tip option to the buyer. You get nothing from the tip and fiverr didn’t get their percentage.

This is just my opinion.

somebody hacked somebodys account ordered a gig for 5 usd and gave like few thousand tip just to transfer money.

That doesn’t make any sense. Just set an upper limit on tips with percentage, up to a maximum value.

E.g.:

Say I order a gig for $1000 and max tip is 20% or $20. And say I give them a 10% tip. Normally, this would mean a $100 tip, but due to the maximum limit, they get/I pay $20. And I don’t see this as a problem, because when was the last time you handed out $100 tips? I certainly don’t. $100 is a lot of money, especially for tipping.

It doesn’t stop the option to re order again for 5 bbucks and send again a tip.

Well, I have an issue with it because the tip is intended for me and the extra effort I put in, not for the site itself. The site, in my opinion, should be entitled to 20% of the initial transaction for facilitating it, not the tip. But the rules are the rules.

And what would you say, if they don’t set up a tip option, you would end up with not even a penny as a tip. So be happy about chance to have a tip even with 20% off

But that would require a completed delivery first. Unless the other guy is also a scammer, this isn’t gonna work.

That’s what i tried to explain to you. Money wire transfer with 2 persons doing it one is seller, other buyer, working hand to hand together to get that money out… One using fiverr to send the stolen money by order a 5 usd order and giving a tip for maximum what they can do.

And what would you say, if they don’t set up a tip option, you would end up with not even a penny as a tip. So be happy about chance to have a tip even with 20% off

And what would you say, if they don’t set up a tip option

I’m not sure I said at any point that there shouldn’t be a tip option. There should be.

As for whether to be happy or not about how it’s being handled at the moment, I’ll decide for myself.

Archived