Why not a "Delivered in one hour when online" gig extra on Fiverr?

cristiscutaru

Few years ago I was looking for a logo, a video and some other small gigs, but delivered ASAP (I was building a website for some customer).

But such services are not possible on Fiverr, even today, and I just wonder why. They would be rather easy to implement. With a filter for those online sellers who would choose to offer such a gig extra (I know I would).

Any opinion why such a thing won’t work? Or if you already had such a discussion in the past? Just curious…

Why not keep a gig paused and only have it go live when you are online? Or say that in your gig description, that you will deliver in one hour when you are online so they should check to be sure first you are available?

This sounds like every mek sell would use this lure in the gig, then not honor it if anyone actually wants it in one hour.

Why not keep a gig paused and only have it go live when you are online? Or say that in your gig description, that you will deliver in one hour when you are online so they should check to be sure first you are available?

This sounds like every mek sell would use this lure in the gig, then not honor it if anyone actually wants it in one hour.

It’s very different what I said.

Imagine you’re a potential buyer, but you need your gig ASAP. However, you would know Fiverr offers also a filter with online sellers that can serve you right away.

This filter would display in the search result pages only:

1. online sellers (who are available to start this work right away)
  2. the gigs that have this extra (for an additional price, of course)

So: it would be great for the buyer (I know sooo many people who would love fast food gigs :)) + great for the seller. (Plus great for Fiverr, I think :))

PS: Who doesn’t honor this will pay the price, as usual. That’s the risk for the seller, whether it’s about one day, two or …one hour. But plenty of gigs CAN and ARE actually delivered in even less time.

If I’m not mistaken, I think they trialled this about a year or so ago in a feature called ‘Available Now’. You had to opt-in, then switch it on when you were immediately available, and it would act in exactly the way you mention… Buyers knew you were ready to get started on their task right away. I think you could set your prices much higher when this was set to ‘On’, and then you would switch it off when you went back to normal availability.

We didn’t use it, but some did and I seem to remember it getting seriously negative feedback, then quietly disappearing. It’s a shame, it’s something we would now use.

Perhaps some of the other sellers who were around at the time also remember this?

If I’m not mistaken, I think they trialled this about a year or so ago in a feature called ‘Available Now’. You had to opt-in, then switch it on when you were immediately available, and it would act in exactly the way you mention… Buyers knew you were ready to get started on their task right away. I think you could set your prices much higher when this was set to ‘On’, and then you would switch it off when you went back to normal availability.

We didn’t use it, but some did and I seem to remember it getting seriously negative feedback, then quietly disappearing. It’s a shame, it’s something we would now use.

Perhaps some of the other sellers who were around at the time also remember this?

Though the “Available Now” option didn’t make sure your order was delivered in an hour. It just meant that the seller was available, and had to respond fast enough to your enquiry.

They could have the option for 1 hour but they’d have to make sure the seller is online like stated. Maybe they should try 12 hour deliveries first, or have both.

I think they trialled this about a year or so ago in a feature called ‘Available Now’.

Yes, I remember that one

It also had have restrictions, can’t recall which one exactly but you had to reply within 5 min I think otherwise if you miss it a couple of times you will be blocked from using this feature for some time. Something like that.

It was in beta back then but I didn’t even notice when it disappeared.

I tried to use it in my early days on fiverr but it didn’t really work for me.

I vaguely remember it. Sellers left the option on all the time but weren’t there. There were some restrictions on who got to use it and I never got to try it. You couldn’t have orders in your queue.

guys, thanks a lot for the feedback (it is great info, I didn’t know!), but please read my first comment.

(1) The filter I talk about would make a huge difference from what you described. This would be for a buyer like “ok, let’s see what gigs I can get in just one hour”. And make a search with this filter on.

(2) And the seller would be fully responsible to deliver in 1h, the same way he does it now, in 1 or 2 days.

I think they trialled this about a year or so ago in a feature called ‘Available Now’.

Yes, I remember that one

It also had have restrictions, can’t recall which one exactly but you had to reply within 5 min I think otherwise if you miss it a couple of times you will be blocked from using this feature for some time. Something like that.

It was in beta back then but I didn’t even notice when it disappeared.

Interesting. Could you tell why?

5 minutes reaction time could make sense after all. That’s what buyers expect when they pick-up such service.

I truly find it very similar to a McDonald’s kind of service, but in the world of gigs. Some people could be skeptical or make fun now, but I am sure this would be one next stage sometimes in the near future 🙂

I often do gigs with shorter than 24 hour delivery time.
Once you state the delivery time in a custom offer then it becomes part of the order specifications and if these aren’t met then Support will cancel the order.
I think 1-hour delivery is just too short though given Fiverr’s shortcomings and delays in messages etc. However, I have done these and tend to include caveats in the offer such as “This offer is to deliver within one hour provided it is ordered within 15 minutes of this message.” (I don’t recommend doing this with anything bigger than a few minutes work though.

It works well and people pay double my Extra Fast price or more depending on the amount of work.

Once you state the delivery time in a custom offer then it becomes part of the order specifications and if these aren’t met then Support will cancel the order.

I think 1-hour delivery is just too short though given Fiverr’s shortcomings and delays in messages etc. However, I have done these and tend to include caveats in the offer such as “This offer is to deliver within one hour provided it is ordered within 15 minutes of this message.” (I don’t recommend doing this with anything bigger than a few minutes work though.

It works well and people pay double my Extra Fast price or more depending on the amount of work.

“This offer is to deliver within one hour provided it is ordered within 15 minutes of this message.”

You would need to sit there for 15 minutes and wait on them accepting the offer, then cancel it if they didn’t, but it’s a great idea.

Lately I don’t get any notification when someone accepts a custom offer. I have to go check on them, or notice if the offer says “accepted” on it in my inbox.

“This offer is to deliver within one hour provided it is ordered within 15 minutes of this message.”

You would need to sit there for 15 minutes and wait on them accepting the offer, then cancel it if they didn’t, but it’s a great idea.

Lately I don’t get any notification when someone accepts a custom offer. I have to go check on them, or notice if the offer says “accepted” on it in my inbox.

Consider that these are often $5-10 orders with $20 extras for fast delivery and take 5-15 mins to complete so it is worthwhile for me. I continue doing whatever I am doing and either get the notification ding or my phone gets the notification. If neither happens I check back to make sure.

I don’t advertise it but people are often in a rush for proofreading etc.

Consider that these are often $5-10 orders with $20 extras for fast delivery and take 5-15 mins to complete so it is worthwhile for me. I continue doing whatever I am doing and either get the notification ding or my phone gets the notification. If neither happens I check back to make sure.

I don’t advertise it but people are often in a rush for proofreading etc.

I like the idea as a way to get them to respond either yes or no quickly when I send a custom offer. They always want it fast so I will give it to them fast if they order fast.

I like the idea as a way to get them to respond either yes or no quickly when I send a custom offer. They always want it fast so I will give it to them fast if they order fast.

Yeah, putting a timer on it for them tends to result in ordering it immediately. These people usually have asked me for it before I send it though.

Yeah, putting a timer on it for them tends to result in ordering it immediately. These people usually have asked me for it before I send it though.

My buyers message me and can’t decide and when they see a custom offer it often makes them choose to get it, but if they need to linger and think about it they forget it. If I give them extra fast delivery it might push them over the top to decide to get it.

My buyers message me and can’t decide and when they see a custom offer it often makes them choose to get it, but if they need to linger and think about it they forget it. If I give them extra fast delivery it might push them over the top to decide to get it.

If I have some time the day a customer messages, I mention it to them as a final push that they can get something quicker without paying extra for it, but only if ordered within X time.

Mine are wary of any type of hint I’m pushing them so it must be done delicately. 🌹

Yeah, it is a balancing act but if you explain the reason for you offering it (have time today, had a cancellation, finished something else quicker than expected etc) then it makes sense to them and doesn’t feel like a real push.

Yeah, it is a balancing act but if you explain the reason for you offering it (have time today, had a cancellation, finished something else quicker than expected etc) then it makes sense to them and doesn’t feel like a real push.

I can tell them the liquor delivery is late today so I have some extra free time. 🍸

You actually confirmed what I said, that people will always pay big bucks for (much) faster delivery - and we all know it 🙂

There should be a search filter for fast services, and we have none today. I’d also bet there are so many people willing to take a risk (and pay the price if they don’t deliver in time).

And yes, we could eventually say one hour since the clock starts, after you get the requirements and you start working on the order. There could be provisions as well for the revisions. But, to keep it simple, I’d still stick with one hour overall (if you make things complex, people will not buy them). There are gigs usually delivered in just 5-10 minutes, and I personally could well live with the overhead and risk of the communication.

PS: anyone here watched “The Founder (2016)”? It’s the history of McDonald’s, a huge lesson in history. Highly recommended.

You actually confirmed what I said, that people will always pay big bucks for (much) faster delivery - and we all know it 🙂

There should be a search filter for fast services, and we have none today. I’d also bet there are so many people willing to take a risk (and pay the price if they don’t deliver in time).

And yes, we could eventually say one hour since the clock starts, after you get the requirements and you start working on the order. There could be provisions as well for the revisions. But, to keep it simple, I’d still stick with one hour overall (if you make things complex, people will not buy them). There are gigs usually delivered in just 5-10 minutes, and I personally could well live with the overhead and risk of the communication.

PS: anyone here watched “The Founder (2016)”? It’s the history of McDonald’s, a huge lesson in history. Highly recommended.

The reason that people had issues with the Available Now feature is that it wasn’t properly thought through and had the potential to mess up a seller’s stats when it went wrong - which was often. I still occasionally see that messages I send, custom offers sent from mobile etc don’t actually reach the buyer. It is this type of thing that makes me hesitant to endorse anything like an automatic ordering system with a short delivery time. If all the above was worked on and it was built in a way that sellers wouldn’t find risky then I would definitely love to see this feature. I fear we are a good bit away from that though.

The reason that people had issues with the Available Now feature is that it wasn’t properly thought through and had the potential to mess up a seller’s stats when it went wrong - which was often. I still occasionally see that messages I send, custom offers sent from mobile etc don’t actually reach the buyer. It is this type of thing that makes me hesitant to endorse anything like an automatic ordering system with a short delivery time. If all the above was worked on and it was built in a way that sellers wouldn’t find risky then I would definitely love to see this feature. I fear we are a good bit away from that though.

Fully understand. I just tested an idea here, that’s all. Good to hear other opinions, they were all good…

However, my feeling is someone (Fiverr or not) will implement this faster than we think. Delivery time is totally feasible (Fiverr proved it), people pay big bucks for it, we just need a better infrastructure for both sellers and buyers.

It seems to me there is at least a 20 minute delay in messages going through. I see a notice that a buyer is away but refresh the page and voila he is actually online. I’m not sure why that is. Either there is a delay in messages or the little timer function for messages is not accurate.

I do remember “Available Now”, when I had it on, one of my competitors messaged me to do an urgent job (probably close to or past their own deadline already) they then, no doubt, would have passed on as theirs, posing as a native speaker - a competitor who had also appropriated my formerly used bio text, I should add - so I don’t really have fond memories of it 😉

Yes, you had to reply within a very short time, which makes sense, of course.

And I remember it was buggy in one or other way 😉

I used it a couple of times but the result was that you couldn’t concentrate on whatever you were working on because you had to reply within 5 minutes or so, never mind if it was an old customer, a spammer or actually someone who wanted something “now” (but for less than your normal rate instead of at least the 24-hour rate 😛 ), so I decided to not bother with it after a few tries.

Another issue was that while you may be very well be “available now” for a job that takes you an hour, customers will message you with jobs that take however many hours or days, so are you “available now” then, or not?

I suppose it wasn’t a big success, all in all, or they’d have implemented it and not dropped it during the beta.

I do remember “Available Now”, when I had it on, one of my competitors messaged me to do an urgent job (probably close to or past their own deadline already) they then, no doubt, would have passed on as theirs, posing as a native speaker - a competitor who had also appropriated my formerly used bio text, I should add - so I don’t really have fond memories of it 😉

Yes, you had to reply within a very short time, which makes sense, of course.

And I remember it was buggy in one or other way 😉

I used it a couple of times but the result was that you couldn’t concentrate on whatever you were working on because you had to reply within 5 minutes or so, never mind if it was an old customer, a spammer or actually someone who wanted something “now” (but for less than your normal rate instead of at least the 24-hour rate 😛 ), so I decided to not bother with it after a few tries.

Another issue was that while you may be very well be “available now” for a job that takes you an hour, customers will message you with jobs that take however many hours or days, so are you “available now” then, or not?

I suppose it wasn’t a big success, all in all, or they’d have implemented it and not dropped it during the beta.

You all raise the communication issue and that’s where the main problem is.

Sorry about the constant parallels to McDonald’s, but imagine those employees spending so much time in communicating with the customer: it wouldn’t be fast food delivery anymore.

So, if we know the issue, there are ways to cut it off. The clock could simply start after the proper requirements, and stop before any potential revision.

All I’m saying is it is feasible. The previous feature was not properly implemented, from what you all say.

Archived