Why would a buyer purchase your gig?

lloydsolutions

The forum is full of mainly new sellers wondering why people are not buying their gigs. Perhaps it would be a good idea to take a good look at your gigs as if you were a buyer and ask yourself “Would I buy this?”

The forum is full of mainly new sellers wondering why people are not buying their gigs. Perhaps it would be a good idea to take a good look at your gigs as if you were a buyer and ask yourself “Would I buy this?”

Sometimes criticism is hard to take. What I see as a buyer is not what the seller sees, as a buyer, at his/her own gig.

It’s not easy to see the mistakes in your own work - the reason why I use beta readers/developmental editors/line editors/copy editors/proofreaders. I need inputs from a third party.

In writing, I know what I was thinking and wanted to say but may have forgotten to tell the reader. That’s where the “OOPS” comes in. I’m jumping from one scene to the next and it makes no sense to anyone else but me.

I am amazed at the number of new writing or editing gigs where the page is full of grammer, punctuation and other errors.

When I talk about writing gigs I am referring to all gigs: Translation, Proofreading, Editing, Ghostwriting, Article Writing, etc.

In other words, they have no idea that their gig is full of mistakes.

I stopped wasting my time giving advice to sellers who offer writing gigs with poor writing skills. I can’t speak for everyone, but I want the seller I hire to be better at whatever I’m hiring them to do.

I also stopped giving advice to those with profile pictures of models, actresses, and celebrities selling on 5r. I figured they are famous and rich enough to hire professional consultants to guide them.

While it might be good for some to take a look a gig themselves, I agree with Gina about reading/assessing your own gig. It would be great if some of the sellers in My Fiverr Gigs would ask each other to assess each other’s gig - could be a big difference for them.
As Mark Twain put it on the subject of editing:

You think you are reading proof, whereas you are merely reading your own mind;
your statement of the thing is full of holes and vacancies but you don’t know it, because you are filling them from your mind as you go along.

I also agree that it makes no sense to point out writing/grammar issues with writers, proofreaders etc (bar a small typo) - the buyers who order that gig and get a poorly written article will not thank you for it.

Sometimes criticism is hard to take. What I see as a buyer is not what the seller sees, as a buyer, at his/her own gig.

It’s not easy to see the mistakes in your own work - the reason why I use beta readers/developmental editors/line editors/copy editors/proofreaders. I need inputs from a third party.

In writing, I know what I was thinking and wanted to say but may have forgotten to tell the reader. That’s where the “OOPS” comes in. I’m jumping from one scene to the next and it makes no sense to anyone else but me.

I am amazed at the number of new writing or editing gigs where the page is full of grammer, punctuation and other errors.

When I talk about writing gigs I am referring to all gigs: Translation, Proofreading, Editing, Ghostwriting, Article Writing, etc.

In other words, they have no idea that their gig is full of mistakes.

I stopped wasting my time giving advice to sellers who offer writing gigs with poor writing skills. I can’t speak for everyone, but I want the seller I hire to be better at whatever I’m hiring them to do.

I also stopped giving advice to those with profile pictures of models, actresses, and celebrities selling on 5r. I figured they are famous and rich enough to hire professional consultants to guide them.

This doesn’t leave a lot, and this is probably why I don’t visit the Improve My Gig section much anymore 😦

Archived