WIll Cancelling an Order Hurt My Rating?

baddison

Good Morning, I’m in a bit of a pickle. A buyer ordered a unique order from me and I thought it would be something I could do, that was until he gave me all of his instructions and I soon discovered that the assignment is rather complex.

It’s not that I can’t handle the assignment because I can it’s just that I didn’t get enough information on his end to see this assignment through and I’ve messaged him twice this week with no response back.

It’s due tomorrow and I need to know if canceling this order will hurt my positive rating? I’ve worked hard on my rating and I’m still new (I’ve been on Fiverr since April but I took a leave of absence throughout the summer and early fall) and any hard hit will hurt me.

Sincerely, Baddison 🙂

P.S. I did try looking through the forums for any post in relation to my predicament but the forum is acting wonky and I only get error messages when clicking on a thread.

Create a ticket with customer support immediately. Notify them of the buyer’s unresponsiveness.

Then on the resolution options, there will be one where it states, “Buyer is unresponsive” utilize that.

Customer support should be able to cancel the order without hurting your cancellation rate. Just mentioned it to them that you want to ensure this does not affect your CR.

I had customer support tell me recently that a mutual cancellation does not affect your rank or anything.

I have so many buyers who order and then tell me they want and expect things I do not offer that unfortunately I have to cancel orders. No one wants to cancel orders. But buyers don’t read and won’t get what they want due to not realizing what you are offering so there is sometimes no choice.

I went to the resolution center and clicked “buyer not responding” and left the buyer an in-depth message apologizing for the inconvenience but that I regret to inform him that I need to cancel the order.

I feel terrible. He seemed like a nice person and was probably too busy with outside obligations and couldn’t answer my questions and now will return to see that he has no finished work waiting for him. 😦

I tried.

Now it’s up to him to accept as a mutual cancellation or see my rating go down.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. 🙂

My advice?

1. Cancel before the clock runs down. It won’t hurt you.
  2. Keep your gig(s) simple/stupid. The less you offer, the less that can go wrong.
  3. Re-think if offering custom offers is worth the time spent messaging with Buyers and the headaches that usually come with the order (not to mention the price haggling it invites).

Thank you @matureactress,

Then there are the buyer’s that see that my delivery time is four days then proceed to order then inbox me that they need it in two days. Ha!

I try to explain nicely that in order to write great content I need time to formulate an idea with research on the topic before I can begin writing and that takes time. I can’t understand how some writer’s on here offer 24-hour service - that would kill me. LOL.

• 3 weeks later...

I had customer support tell me recently that a mutual cancellation does not affect your rank or anything.

I have so many buyers who order and then tell me they want and expect things I do not offer that unfortunately I have to cancel orders. No one wants to cancel orders. But buyers don’t read and won’t get what they want due to not realizing what you are offering so there is sometimes no choice.

Exactly!

A mutual cancellation is not a profit loss for Fiverr since the money stays in the account. Fiverr just doesn’t want disputes where it involves too much of CS time since that is an operating cost.

Weird. It clearly shows in the resolution centre->“mutually cancel the order” that, cancelling an order may affect our rankings.

Yes and I have had CS tell me that it has never changed, and that it will not affect the rankings.

If indeed it does hurt rankings then it would be helpful if we got a report once a month saying that we had (X) number of orders canceled and our rankings decreased by X amount of impressions as a direct result.

We need much more feedback and reports on what we do wrong so we know what to correct.

• 4 years later...

sorry for the long text.
I recently canceled an order, because the customer ordered something different than what I usually make, it was 4 days delivery time, but the customer keeps texting me twice in a day, to deliver it asap.

so I deliver his illustration on the third day. the customer is not satisfied and behaves very rude, never met someone like him before, and he was not able to explain his requirements properly.
I am a level 2 seller since July 2020, and got 270 positive reviews and overall 5 star rating , everything going good, my gig on the first page of search result most of the times, 15-25 orders in queue all the time…
After that cancellation , currently my gig is found no where through the 20 pages… don’t know, what would happen next, I still got 13 orders in queue, I’ll give an update if I find my gig in the top 20 pages in coming days.

I am editing this reply since I cannot post new comment…

this gig was not something very different than what i usually deliver, but a little different and i have completed such orders in the past ,the customer even agreed to make the illustration in my style before.
later he expects something else, just the customer was not clear with his requirements even after the first delivery, these were customers words:
"I don’t like it ", “how is this even going to work” , “I want it to look catchy” , “why have you used so many colors” .

this was my first customer who behaved like this.
so i replied,
you can cancel this order if you don’t like it.

(until he explains what to change, there is lot of room for word “catchy”) also he has no patience even after requesting time ,he wants the work right away even though have clearly mentioned in my description that i utilize the whole delivery time.

he didn’t cancel the order so later I did…

I got three more positive 5 star ratings after that, now I find my gig on the 20th page… i guess it gets better depending on way I perform…

lesson learnt, no matter how pissed you are… cancelation is something you need to avoid. and always be polite to the customers. and if you are overbooked, you can set your availability . so you don’t get more orders.

sorry for the long text.

I recently canceled an order, because the customer ordered something different than what I usually make, it was 4 days delivery time, but the customer keeps texting me twice in a day, to deliver it asap.

so I deliver his illustration on the third day. the customer is not satisfied and behaves very rude, never met someone like him before, and he was not able to explain his requirements properly.

I am a level 2 seller since July 2020, and got 270 positive reviews and overall 5 star rating , everything going good, my gig on the first page of search result most of the times, 15-25 orders in queue all the time…

After that cancellation , currently my gig is found no where through the 20 pages… don’t know, what would happen next, I still got 13 orders in queue, I’ll give an update if I find my gig in the top 20 pages in coming days.

I am editing this reply since I cannot post new comment…

this gig was not something very different than what i usually deliver, but a little different and i have completed such orders in the past ,the customer even agreed to make the illustration in my style before.

later he expects something else, just the customer was not clear with his requirements even after the first delivery, these were customers words:

"I don’t like it ", “how is this even going to work” , “I want it to look catchy” , “why have you used so many colors” .

this was my first customer who behaved like this.

so i replied,

you can cancel this order if you don’t like it.

(until he explains what to change, there is lot of room for word “catchy”) also he has no patience even after requesting time ,he wants the work right away even though have clearly mentioned in my description that i utilize the whole delivery time.

he didn’t cancel the order so later I did…

I got three more positive 5 star ratings after that, now I find my gig on the 20th page… i guess it gets better depending on way I perform…

lesson learnt, no matter how pissed you are… cancelation is something you need to avoid. and always be polite to the customers. and if you are overbooked, you can set your availability . so you don’t get more orders.

Hi, this is a very old thread, so they will most likely move or lock this. Please open a new thread next time.

Your first mistake was not cancelling here, right at the beginning:

The customer ordered something different than what I usually make, it was 4 days delivery time, but the customer keeps texting me twice in a day, to deliver it asap.

Because you could’ve went for a support cancellation if it was drastically different from the usual.

I don’t know how long ago it was, but if it was recent, try contacting CS politely telling them what happened before you lose your level. However, I’m not sure it will work in this case, but it’s not wrong to try, and you’re a Level 2 seller with a 5 star average. All in your favour.

Archived