Will Fiverr accept Cryptocurrency?

mediamonarch

Has there been any news on Bitcoin adoption by Fiverr? It seems like something Fiverr would be all into especially the demographic it targets though its add campaigns such as a millennial audience. The ability to pay with Bitpay would be a great addition to the site and no doubt would be a popular option of payment.

Interesting. Even if it wasn’t popular it still would have made sense to keep it up as an option so perhaps it was more of a security issue or too many problems.

Even when Fiverr did accept Bitcoin, funds were paid to sellers as regular U.S. Dollars. (In this case, Fiverr should be sitting on a nice BTC nest egg right now.)

It is doubtful Fiverr would ever embrace cryptocurrency in the way some sellers would like it to. However, there is at least one Fiverr clone which accepts and pays out exclusively in Bitcoin Cash. I know some sellers here have already found some success there. The site is still in its infancy though. (And very buggy.)

There are also otehr cryptofreelance sites. However, if you use them you may want to consider setting up a completely different email address and online persona prior to signing up. I say this as there seem to be groups of people using such sites to phish for user details in very clever ways. In fact, this could also be a reason why Fiverr should think very carefully before looking into crypto payments themselves.

I don’t know anything about bitcoin but I like hearing about it anyway.

How do you make a new type of currency? Is there a bitcoin inventor somewhere sitting on a large fortune?

I know next to nothing about it, but I don’t think there’s a “bitcoin inventor sitting on a large fortune.” The blockchain is regulated in a way that new currency must be “mined” eliminating the rapid inflation and other disasters that could occur if additional BTC were freely generated.

Please, someone, correct me if I’m wrong.

I know next to nothing about it, but I don’t think there’s a “bitcoin inventor sitting on a large fortune.” The blockchain is regulated in a way that new currency must be “mined” eliminating the rapid inflation and other disasters that could occur if additional BTC were freely generated.

bitcoin inventor sitting on a large fortune

Alright, scratch that. Bitcoin’s growth is humongous (first “real” transaction was something like 10,000 BTC for 1 pizza; now each BTC is worth over $5000.) The pseudonymous creator of Bitcoin, Satoshi Nakomoto, was for a while the only (and then the prominent) miner and he ended up with about 1 million BTC unspent. So, if he chose to convert that, at the moment it would be USD 5 billion.

The software and network of users regulate the creation and transactions. Every transaction can be viewed with a tool like ********.com. Bitcoin also has this page on the regulation.

Bitcoin is still a thing? Wow

Absolutely it’s still a thing despite all the criticism. Many people don’t trust the infrastructure but for me the concern is the volatility.

MOD NOTE: Link Removed

blockchain is regulated in a way that new currency must be “mined” eliminating the rapid inflation and other disasters that could occur if additional BTC were freely generated.

It sounds like it is a lot of words.

For example the dollar is supposedly backed by the US government. It used to be backed by actual gold. Even that is suspicious to some of us. It can simply be printed if more is needed. Something is only worth what is agreed to by everyone.

If someone claims each bitcoin is worth $1000000 who will say it’s not?

On 11/17/2018 at 11:43 PM, misscrystal said:

For example the dollar is supposedly backed by the US government. It used to be backed by actual gold. Even that is suspicious to some of us. It can simply be printed if more is needed. Something is only worth what is agreed to by everyone.

The fact that fiat cash like the dollar can be printed on demand gives it less value than Bitcoin. There will only ever be 21 million BTC in existence. Nobody can ever increase the supply. All anyone can do is create a new kind of cryptocurrency and try and persuade people why it has value. A lot of people do this and some crypto coins do have merit. However, Bitcoin is the only coin where there is no call person.

i.e. If you create a popular cryptocurrency tomorrow, your phone will start ringing with people threatening to lock you up unless you discontinue it and others wanting to pitch ideas concerning how to run and develop your coin.

Bitcoin has absolutely no one to call, lay charges against, threaten, or manipulate. It is simply out in the wild. In theory, if 51% of all people supporting the Bitcoin network wanted to, they could hack the network. However, this would require a simultaneous effort and if successful, Bitcoin would become worthless as news of the hack spread. In this case, no one would ever stand to profit from the event.

On 11/18/2018 at 12:10 AM, cyaxrex said:

Bitcoin has absolutely no one to call, lay charges against, threaten, or manipulate. 

I’m surprised our FBI hasn’t investigated it and locked people away for life, even if they had to invent charges. They don’t need to see actual violations of laws. In fact I’m not sure it isn’t a violation of US law to use it.

If they ever get the time and funding and orders to do it they will and I won’t be surprised. Not because it’s wrong to use it. Because someone wants a big promotion and to make a name for themself.

Bartering is illegal. There were cryptocurrencies you could earn from bartering but they cracked down on that. They probably can’t find a way people are evading taxes on it.

On 11/18/2018 at 12:34 AM, misscrystal said:

I’m surprised our FBI hasn’t investigated it and locked people away for life, even if they had to invent charges. They don’t need to see actual violations of laws. 

They have. (God Bless America.) However, it has already been firmly established that Bitcoin is legal and taxable in the same way as property. Also, your government secretly loves Bitcoin because it is easier to track and tax than the dollar itself.

On 11/18/2018 at 12:37 AM, cyaxrex said:

it is easier to track and tax than the dollar itself.

If it’s easier to track then why do they say to buy your illegal stuff on the dark web with bitcoins? It may be easier to track people who buy them but not so much what you spend them on.

If I buy bitcoins am I violating US laws? I’m sure there must be a law that applies to that.

On 11/18/2018 at 12:44 AM, misscrystal said:

If it’s easier to track then why do they say to buy your illegal stuff on the dark web with bitcoins?

Because this makes it easier to catch stupid criminals. Bitcoin is absolutely the worst kind of currency to use in any kind of illicit transaction. Also, once you have made an illicit purchase, the person who sold you your goods is exposed. There are several more sophisticated cryptos which can be used anonymously. However, these aren’t as well-known as BTC. In this case, most of the time when you hear how dangerous Bitcoin is, you are hearing it from a lazy reporter recycling a 2010 myth, or one who is just using the term Bitcoin as a defacto reference for cryptocurrency in general.

On 11/18/2018 at 12:47 AM, misscrystal said:

If I buy bitcoins am I violating US laws? I’m sure there must be a law that applies to that.

Nope. They are not illegal. However, if you sold coins, you could be charged with operating an illegal money transmission business. Also, you need to pay capital gains tax on any future transaction where you exchange coins for goods, other cryptos, or fiat cash. If you don’t, the IRS will know, because they pay a company called Chainalysis to track the Bitcoin blockchain and spot tax evaders.

Nope. They are not illegal. However, if you sold coins, you could be charged with operating an illegal money transmission business. Also, you need to pay capital gains tax on any future transaction where you exchange coins for goods, other cryptos, or fiat cash. If you don’t, the IRS will know, because they pay a company called Chainalysis to track the Bitcoin blockchain and spot tax evaders.

So let’s say I buy some bitcoins and buy some hallucinogens on the dark web with them. They can track my exchange of bitcoins for the drug to the dealer? Not that I plan on doing that.

So let’s say I buy some bitcoins and buy some hallucinogens on the dark web with them. They can track my exchange of bitcoins for the drug to the dealer? Not that I plan on doing that.

Yes. Easy as pie. You would be better off digging up some river cane root from the bottom of your garden, before feeding it to a local cow and collecting it’s wee. Better trip, cheaper, and unless someone questions whether yoyu are a real farmer, less jail time.

Yes. Easy as pie. You would be better off digging up some river cane root from the bottom of your garden, before feeding it to a local cow and collecting it’s wee. Better trip, cheaper, and unless someone questions whether yoyu are a real farmer, less jail time.

I was just reading a book about groups of people who do exactly that. They made it sound safe and easy. They live in England mostly.

What? Getting cows high or putting your life on the line on the Dark Web?

So then what’s the purpose of using bitcoins at all to purchase things on the internet? There used to be that big drug dealing site that used them. Of course that was shut down. I thought that was the main purpose of them.

So then what’s the purpose of using bitcoins at all to purchase things on the internet? There used to be that big drug dealing site that used them. Of course that was shut down. I thought that was the main purpose of them.

It’s more secure in that your bank can’t refuse to fulfill your transaction and no one can steel or freeze your account balance.

If all the physical US Dollars in the world were shared out equally among Americans, they would have approximately $3K each. The backing of the government as far as your currency goes is worthless as your total debt is a hairs whisker away from your total GDP. That debt only has value if someone buys it and at present, most people don’t because it is considered un-serviceable.

Should there ever be a 2008 like event, there will be no bank rescue package by the FED as they don’t have the funds anymore and printing money will just lead to hyper inflation. The point of Bitcoin is not to buy a new iPhone with it instead of using your Visa. The point is to create an easily moveable and exchangeable asset class which survives the impossible not to happen demise of the USD.

Of course in the meantime, you can buy drugs on the dark web if you really want to. I really wouldn’t recommend it though.

It’s more secure in that your bank can’t refuse to fulfill your transaction and no one can steel or freeze your account balance.

If all the physical US Dollars in the world were shared out equally among Americans, they would have approximately $3K each. The backing of the government as far as your currency goes is worthless as your total debt is a hairs whisker away from your total GDP. That debt only has value if someone buys it and at present, most people don’t because it is considered un-serviceable.

Should there ever be a 2008 like event, there will be no bank rescue package by the FED as they don’t have the funds anymore and printing money will just lead to hyper inflation. The point of Bitcoin is not to buy a new iPhone with it instead of using your Visa. The point is to create an easily moveable and exchangeable asset class which survives the impossible not to happen demise of the USD.

Of course in the meantime, you can buy drugs on the dark web if you really want to. I really wouldn’t recommend it though.

I knew someone who tried to open a bank account in another country and he wired $50,000 to it and never saw that money again. He thought that he would move there and would never have to work again.

You can send money by Western Union without involving any bank. Of course withdrawing over $10,000 from our banks causes a notice to be filed with the Treasury Dept.

@cyaxrex thanks for jumping in and enlightening us!

Archived