Will you cotinue work with client who only rate 4.x star for your work?

chrisdata

Don’t said this is not big deal.
If a client keep rating your less than 5 stars and you won’t get rank up in search page lead to less sales in a long run, it also look not good for other new buyer seeing those 4.x review.

I think I won’t like to work with those client who rate 4.x stars anymore (they think the delivered work is perfect and very happy), it hurt both my feeling, effort and time, rather work with those who rate 5 stars.

How you deal with those client?

Reply only this matters to you, if you think it’s no big deal, please ignore this post. Thanks.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m fine with one or two 4* from the same person. If it’s more than that, I’d probably have to tell them that my dog ate my graphic tablet at some point and I can’t help them anymore.

That’s a legit and rare reason. LOL

I’m fine with one or two 4* from the same person. If it’s more than that, I’d probably have to tell them that my dog ate my graphic tablet at some point and I can’t help them anymore.

Omg how many graphic tablets have you dog eaten already?!

Omg how many graphic tablets have you dog eaten already?!

Actually, none. 🙂 I never had the same buyer leave me 4* more than once. It’s usually either by mistake and the next one is 5* OR they’re the “well it was okay but I expected it to be GREAT” kind of people. And in that case, they’re so disappointed in me that they don’t come back.

If a client keep rating your less than 5 stars and you won’t get rank up in search page lead to less sales in a long run, it also look not good for other new buyer seeing those 4.x review.

I think I won’t like to work with those client who rate 4.x stars anymore (they think the delivered work is perfect and very happy), it hurt both my feeling, effort and time, rather work with those who rate 5 stars.

Reply only this matters to you, if you think it’s no big deal, please ignore this post. Thanks.

I think I won’t like to work with those client who rate 4.x stars anymore

The 4 stars you receive may not be based on your work alone. You need to factor in things like communication, delivery time, and the overall experience.

Buyers are not required to give you 5-star reviews. Fiverr encourages buyers to be open to leave whatever review best represents their experience working with you. If that means they choose to provide a 4-star review, that is their right, according to the TOS. You don’t have to like it, but it is how Fiverr works.

Why does a positive 4-star review require a seller to do anything to “deal with” that buyer? That buyer hasn’t done anything wrong.

This is a big deal, yes. If the same client gives me 4 star reviews all the time I would like to understand why.

Unfortunately we cannot discuss reviews with buyers, but I always try to evaluate if my service was the best that I could do, if there is something that I’m missing or if I can improve. If I feel very secure with my work and I know that I provided a good quality work and the client keep giving me 4 star reviews and don’t give me any clue about it maybe I would try to test another approach at the next few orders and after, if the situation doesn’t change, maybe I would not feel that comfortable anymore.

Just an example: I had a client who gave me 1 star review simply because he was new to Fiverr, he didn’t make his research and was not pleased with the result because he was asking me much more that he was ordering and I refused to do more work for free. Another client gave me less than 5 stars after sending a message explaining that he was not pretending to spend much money on that. We were discussing his project before and he agreed on price and was satisfied with the job. Simply, he would prefer to spend less. I would like that Fiverr could give us the possibility to report some reviews regarding very specific situations.

There are many reasons why a client can give you a lower review, and sometimes it’s nothing related to you. But deciding to keep working with that client or not would depend on many factors, for me, and I would need to analyse each situation separately.

Buyers are not required to give you 5-star reviews. Fiverr encourages buyers to be open to leave whatever review best represents their experience working with you. If that means they choose to provide a 4-star review, that is their right, according to the TOS. You don’t have to like it, but it is how Fiverr works.

Why does a positive 4-star review require a seller to do anything to “deal with” that buyer? That buyer hasn’t done anything wrong.

I always can assume what’s your reply on the forum, meh.

You just sound like a bot CS. lol.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

I feel like this entire comment would only apply if OP would specifically say: “I’m not going to work on this because you’ve been consistently rating me 4* and I don’t like that”.

You can’t be forced to work with anyone and you are not obliged to give them a reason why you are declining to work with them.

I feel like this entire comment would only apply if OP would specifically say: “I’m not going to work on this because you’ve been consistently rating me 4* and I don’t like that”.

You can’t be forced to work with anyone and you are not obliged to give them a reason why you are declining to work with them.

I agree. IF I don’t like to work with them I won’t give a reason and only use the Block button.

Most sellers ‘expect’ a five star (100%) review just because they’ve become conditioned to most buyers leaving such generous feedback. But is anything really that perfect in life? I mean, always hitting 100%? The answer I suspect is ‘no’.

When you think about it, a four star review is 80%. In an exam, 80% would be a high pass. Your buyer isn’t saying they’re unhappy, they’re saying you’ve done a very good job - just not excellent in their opinion.

I do understand what you’re getting at, but a four star review really isn’t all that bad. Sure, we’d all prefer five stars but…

One thing you most certainly shouldn’t do is approach your buyer about this. Fiverr might view this as manipulation and you could get an account warning.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

There is no need to educate me.

My comments, obviously, are not about those who just go: “I don’t work with you people”.

There was a post recently made by an illustrator who was getting 5* from the buyer until one day he asked for extra work and she sent him a completely legitimate, modest extra for it as per her gig description. He did accept it but started to leave 4* reviews afterward and he ordered a lot. I’d argue it was a tactic to “punish” her and she had a full right to stop working with him.

I decline to work with people who make me uncomfortable. Mostly by making comments about my heritage or appearance. “Uncomfortable” can be vague and for sure can be attempted to be spun as discrimination. However, CS stood behind me when I had to cancel a few times and my response didn’t require me to write an essay on why I’m uncomfortable.

“I’m not going to work on this because you’ve been consistently rating me 4* and I don’t like that”.

I’m pretty sure you can say that and it won’t backfire.

there are certain standards for code of conduct. Fiverr too has those standards. I wish if you could take out some time to read those.

Codes of ethics and conduct and discrimination don’t really apply to this situation. The OP asked if people would continue working with a buyer who gave them a lower than 5 star rating.

Like others have said, it’s entirely the buyer’s prerogative to leave an honest review. But it’s also the seller’s prerogative to work with whomever they wish to work with, or not, as the case may be. Nowhere in the terms of service does it say that by joining Fiverr, I agree to work with anyone and everyone, no matter what. We’re freelancers here, we have choice. I maintain the right to decline work if I wish to - I can’t be forced to do something I don’t want to do.

Granted, if you start writing things like “I’m not going to work with you because…” - then you might be leaving yourself open to a warning about discrimination. But you don’t need to. A polite ‘no thank you’ and the use of the Block button is enough.

To the OP - if a buyer consistently gave us less than 5 stars, I’d probably question why. If I know it’s something we’ve done, I’d try and fix it. If it’s them (“oh, it’s not personal, I just never like leaving a 5 star review” etc) - then yeah, I’d probably decline working with them in the future. Depends on the value and frequency of their orders. An occasional 4.7 in exchange for an absolute whale of an order? I can probably live with that. Regular 4.7s for $20 a piece? No thank you.

I think you overreacted a bit in this post overall and misconstrued my comment as saying something about you that I didn’t.

In any case, thank you for the quote and have an amazing day.

PS I removed “for you” from my previous post in case that was the problem.

There is no need to educate me.

My comments, obviously, are not about those who just go: “I don’t work with you people”.

There was a post recently made by an illustrator who was getting 5* from the buyer until one day he asked for extra work and she sent him a completely legitimate, modest extra for it as per her gig description. He did accept it but started to leave 4* reviews afterward and he ordered a lot. I’d argue it was a tactic to “punish” her and she had a full right to stop working with him.

I decline to work with people who make me uncomfortable. Mostly by making comments about my heritage or appearance. “Uncomfortable” can be vague and for sure can be attempted to be spun as discrimination. However, CS stood behind me when I had to cancel a few times and my response didn’t require me to write an essay on why I’m uncomfortable.

However, CS stood behind me when I had to cancel a few times and my response didn’t require me to write an essay on why I’m uncomfortable.

I have spoken to CS twice about a buyer who, frankly, just stressed me out and I didn’t want to work with anymore. They supported me, and even though they said they would RATHER I work it out with the client, that at the end of the day it was my choice.

You just sound like a bot CS. lol.

You started a topic, and asked people to reply. I did so. I don’t see anything wrong with that.

Berating people who participate in a topic, at your request, seems like an ineffective way to conduct a discussion, or gather differing opinions on an issue.

If you’re much concerned about the profile and ratings and don’t want to work with that client, simply tell them politely that you’re not interested to work with them further and block them.
However I don’t see any issue with 4 star review and I consider it as fine untill it doesnt affect my profile.

It can be seen as a discriminatory nature towards the buyer(s)

I don’t think you understand what discrimination is, even though you quoted a definition of it.

discrimination means unfair or unequal treatment of an individual or group based on age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, race, religion, and sex/ual orientation.

Yes. That’s what discrimination is. Nowhere in there does it mention that discrimination can be based off a review.

Pay attention to the “other similar ground”

What - are - you - talking - about -? A review is not similar ground to …

age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, race, religion or sex/ual orientation

You need to check your facts.

You know, @jonbaas is totally right.

That buyer hasn’t done anything wrong.

Exactly. Just because they didn’t have a 5-star experience, doesn’t mean they need to be “dealt with”, people are entitled to their own opinion.

And the review in question isn’t even that bad. It applauds you and praises good communication.

Also, I think it is incredibly rude for you to say…

Reply only this matters to you, if you think it’s no big deal, please ignore this post.

It’s a public forum, people are entitled to share their own opinion. It seems to me, that you just don’t like it when people think differently to you. Why should someone not express their opinion on this matter?

@rahulgraphics needs a fact check. @chrisdata needs a reality check.

Archived