Will you lose buyers with a price hike? ?

gina_riley2

This is just my perspective and not an overall buyer’s; however, I think most of us are on the same page.

1. When great sellers raise their prices, I still buy from them.

2. When average sellers raise their prices, I may or may not buy from them.

3. When okay sellers raise their prices, I look elsewhere.

Everyone that spends time in this forum and/or have been buying/selling here for a long time knows that quality sellers are few. Not everything I need requires top quality. First example,

• When I need high quality articles, I go to #1. I may grumble a bit but it took me a long time to find that great writer. It took me buying tons of gigs & lots of money to find them.

• When I need something quick, cheap and fast (like a low quality article) I’ll go to #2 or #3. If their prices went up, I’ll find someone else. I’m not going to expend extra cash for okay work.

• I only buy from premium sellers for proofreading, editing & beta reading. I buy from various level when it comes to articles and stories. Sometimes, quality doesn’t matter all that much, it just needs to be not plagiarized

The fact is buyers like me are willing to pay premium price for premium work. We’re also not inclined to pay premium price for okay work.

Just because you raised your prices, doesn’t mean buyers will flood your gate. If your regular buyers aren’t coming back, after you raised your prices, then consider lowering it. It maybe harsh, but you may be overvaluing your self worth. Also, some people are just plain cheapskates and stopped buying simply for the price alone. Losing a few is normal, don’t let that be a determination of your self worth. I’m talking about losing all your regulars, not just a handful.

If you find out you’re not as good as you thought, then remember that practice makes perfect. Keep selling those $5 & $10 gigs until you have real buyers willing to pay more.

Even some of the $1000 Pros here started at $5. It’s not a shame, its earning your dues.

That being said, some of you really are undervaluing your abilities and a hike is long overdue. You know who you are. 😁

This is just my perspective and not an overall buyer’s; however, I think most of us are on the same page.

1. When great sellers raise their prices, I still buy from them.

2. When average sellers raise their prices, I may or may not buy from them.

3. When okay sellers raise their prices, I look elsewhere.

Everyone that spends time in this forum and/or have been buying/selling here for a long time knows that quality sellers are few. Not everything I need requires top quality. First example,

• When I need high quality articles, I go to #1. I may grumble a bit but it took me a long time to find that great writer. It took me buying tons of gigs & lots of money to find them.

• When I need something quick, cheap and fast (like a low quality article) I’ll go to #2 or #3. If their prices went up, I’ll find someone else. I’m not going to expend extra cash for okay work.

• I only buy from premium sellers for proofreading, editing & beta reading. I buy from various level when it comes to articles and stories. Sometimes, quality doesn’t matter all that much, it just needs to be not plagiarized

The fact is buyers like me are willing to pay premium price for premium work. We’re also not inclined to pay premium price for okay work.

Just because you raised your prices, doesn’t mean buyers will flood your gate. If your regular buyers aren’t coming back, after you raised your prices, then consider lowering it. It maybe harsh, but you may be overvaluing your self worth. Also, some people are just plain cheapskates and stopped buying simply for the price alone. Losing a few is normal, don’t let that be a determination of your self worth. I’m talking about losing all your regulars, not just a handful.

If you find out you’re not as good as you thought, then remember that practice makes perfect. Keep selling those $5 & $10 gigs until you have real buyers willing to pay more.

Even some of the $1000 Pros here started at $5. It’s not a shame, its earning your dues.

That being said, some of you really are undervaluing your abilities and a hike is long overdue. You know who you are. 😁

Thanks, Gina. It is good to see a buyer’s perspective on this issue.

Just because you raised your prices, doesn’t mean buyers will flood your gate.

This is true, but I found that once I raised my prices, the cheapskates stopped visiting me, and I do not miss them. 🤨

But, when we offer cheap rates then it is possible that buyer that are not interested in work just come for checking he will buy our gig because we have cheap rates.
Also, when buyer give little price so he/she will not worried if seller cancel the order, and if buyer give high rates he/she will be worry about the cancellation of order.
I think serious buyer give high prices.

But, when we offer cheap rates then it is possible that buyer that are not interested in work just come for checking he will buy our gig because we have cheap rates.

Also, when buyer give little price so he/she will not worried if seller cancel the order, and if buyer give high rates he/she will be worry about the cancellation of order.

I think serious buyer give high prices.

I’d rather have 1 person decide to buy $600 from me than 2 decide to get $200. Raising your prices may effect fewer orders, but it also means less work with more money yielded. I feel as if this is what you’re saying, but I could be wrong.

Why would the buyer be more worried about a cancellation at a higher price? If cancellation happens, that’s going to be bad for the seller, not the buyer. Seller Graph is much more worried about cancellation with a $1k order than Buyer Graph.

I’d rather have 1 person decide to buy $600 from me than 2 decide to get $200. Raising your prices may effect fewer orders, but it also means less work with more money yielded. I feel as if this is what you’re saying, but I could be wrong.

Why would the buyer be more worried about a cancellation at a higher price? If cancellation happens, that’s going to be bad for the seller, not the buyer. Seller Graph is much more worried about cancellation with a $1k order than Buyer Graph.

Yes I am Agreed…

I love this. If ideal buyers like and benefit from your performance, they stay with you when you raise your prices. If they don’t, they aren’t a good fit for you.

Never undersell yourself. It literally doesn’t pay. Retention means little if you don’t earn what you need and deserve and you can retain and grow even better with higher pricing, anyway.

Thanks! Your perspective is extremely valuable and one that all Sellers should consider! The notion that many Buyers have a roster of sellers in the same category is one that can be easily overlooked by Sellers. And understanding Buyer’s tendencies can be helpful in tailoring your offerings!

Interestingly, over my years here, I’ve always regularly increased my rates and subsequently have lost many buyers from when I first started. But every so often, I’ll have Buyers contact me years later. Sometimes it’s because they have a larger client with a bigger budget and other times it’s that over the years, they’ve scaled up their business as well and are just seeking high quality work.

The bottom line is that if I lose a Buyer and never hear from them again, that’s just the way things work. But if they contact me years later, I always welcome them back with open arms because I know they are coming back to work with me specifically. And in a freelance world where positive feedback isn’t flowing freely, returning Buyers are your way of knowing that ultimately you’re doing good work.

Archived