Fiverr Forum

Wise Up, Fiverr

Elance used to send warnings to users who used words like “email” in their correspondence, but they cut that out years ago. It’s so annoying to have words like “email” and “pay” flagged while having a conversation with a provider, and it gives you the oppressive feeling that you’re being monitored.

The Fiverr platform is easy to use, it provides great value (both for project management and the ability to leave feedback, which keeps people honest), and the costs are reasonable, so you don’t have to be so paranoid that people are going to find each other on Fiverr and then go conduct business elsewhere. Quit worrying and quit irritating your users.

On Elance, where typical projects are much more expensive and long-term, the incentive to leave the platform are much stronger. On Fiverr there’s virtually no incentive to leave the platform at all for the sort of jobs it is built for. We’re talking about five dollar gigs here. Now, Fiverr is not suited for longer-term projects, so if people want to seek other work arrangements with their providers you need to either let them go (they’ll find a way anyway) or make it work on your site.

Also, communication on Fiverr is a nightmare for anyone with multiple gigs going at once. Why can’t I give unique names to the gigs I order? Why isn’t there a way for me to view all my open gigs at once?

Anyway, quit sending punk email warnings to people using your site to conduct business when that requires referencing external sites. It’s dumb and counterproductive.

Bigbadbilly and kjblynx, I appreciate you guys weighing in on this. I definitely hear what you’re saying, and I don’t disagree that Fiverr does it for business reasons; I just think it’s a bad business move. I pointed out that Elance (which if you’re not familiar is a major outsourcing platform, somewhat similar to Fiverr but for longer-term projects) used to have a similar practice of censoring correspondences, but they abandoned it. Why? For business reasons.

The point I was making was that the thing that keeps people from conducting business outside of Fiverr is not their constant warnings, but the simple fact that people prefer to do business over Fiverr’s platform. It offers protections to buyers that aren’t otherwise available.

If you’re not familiar with Elance, let me draw another analogy. You’re not supposed to bring outside food into the movie theater, but when you go to a movie do people walk up and down the aisle shining flashlights to see if people have outside food? Of course not. The correct business intuition is to make it easy for moviegoers to buy snacks and drinks at the theater so that there isn’t a large incentive to bring in outside food. SOME people will do it anyway, so you sell them a ticket and recognize if they couldn’t sneak in snacks they might not come to the movies at all. In that way you capture the maximum amount of ticket sales and the maximum amount of snack sales.

Or to put it another way, you don’t win when you scold your customers. You win when you observe what your customers demand and you make it easy and convenient for them to get it from you instead of elsewhere. As long as Fiverr buyers and providers want a secure, reliable platform for conducting business, with the extra security of being able to leave feedback, then Fiverr doesn’t need to worry about a huge exodus of their customers to collaborate over email. However if Fiverr continues to irritate its harass its users, it will ultimately drive them into the arms of their competition, whoever that turns out to be.

It’s all a matter of dollars and cents.

Fiverr doesn’t want you corresponding outside of the site. And you are being monitored.

Fiverr doesn’t want to let it’s traffic wander to other sites. Why would they?

It’s true. If someone really wants to communicate outside the site with someone else, they’ll find a way. But Fiverr can’t support that.

There’s also the scenario of people meeting on Fiverr. Conducting business off-site. And then, if something goes wrong they blame Fiverr for the introduction.

The flagging of words is a safeguard for both Fiverr and the buyer involved.

The system isn’t perfect, but everything is their for a reason.

As for

kevinfrei said: Anyway, quit sending punk email warnings to people using your site to conduct business when that requires referencing external sites. It's dumb and counterproductive.

You hit the nail right on the head here. It's Fiverr's site. Not yours.
Like they say. Nobodies forcing anyone to conduct business on Fiverr. People come for the potential traffic. But if you don't want to follow the rules or find them annoying you can just go off on your own. Fiverr, above all else is a business. You don't work for them. They don't work for you. They don't want you trying to take the traffic they spend loads of money promoting to get.

Like I said. It's all a matter of dollars and cents.

Hi kjblynx, you hit on exactly my point - you personally want to use Fiverr. I think most buyers want to use Fiverr because the ability to leave feedback is what constrains bad behavior on the part of providers.

Some providers and buyers will inevitably choose to leave the site to conduct business through email, and you can’t really stop that. But it’s like that old saying: “If you love something, let it go. If it returns, it is yours. If it doesn’t, it was never yours to begin with.” When people leave the platform to conduct business over email, they will quickly learn that they have no means to leave feedback on the provider or ensure that they deliver the work. I know this from firsthand experience… Years ago I left Elance to finish a project with a provider over email. I haven’t made that mistake twice, and I have been an Elance power-user ever since.

Fiverr provides some things that Elance does not, which is why I have been using Fiverr like a fiend ever since I learned about it. But Fiverr’s missteps are opportunities for their competitors, so rather than trying to be so protective they should make those fixes I suggested (the ability to better organize gigs) and stop sending people warnings for using words in their correspondence.