Word Caterpillar, Round 2- Places! ๐ŸŒŽ ๐ŸŒ ๐ŸŒ

wooden_fish

Itโ€™s time for round two of the Word Caterpillar game! This time spelled with only one โ€œtโ€โ€ฆ

On the last one, I loved all the cultures and local dishes that showed up. There were plenty Iโ€™ve never remotely heard of. For the most part, they looked delicious. Continuing with that strong sense of culture, this next go around weโ€™ll be focusing on Places Around the World. Towns, cities, countries, continents, landmarks, and geographical features are all fair game. May the odds be ever in your favor.

The Rules

For each post, choose a location starting with the last letter(s) of the word/phrase in the previous response. Feel free to share pictures and details. See the last thread for examples.

We may limit the thread to 100 responses or so, and then let the โ€œwinnerโ€ choose the next topic. I think that would be a good way to keep the game moving and have fun with more themes.

Weโ€™re going to start with a very fascinating place I recently learned about: Cholula.

More about Cholula

Cholula is a small region in Puebla, Mexico with ancient ruins; a giant, active volcano called popocatepetl; and other fun stuff. Itโ€™s home of the worldโ€™s largest pyramid (volume-wise).
image.png.f4b774aa17fccd8321b9e147d13a5591.png
Much of the great pyramid of Cholula is covered with flora; it looks like a geometric grassy mountain.

YAY!

Cholula

Australia ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ!

A ustrali a

Wait, thatโ€™s an entire continent :rofl: I donโ€™t see that in the rules ๐Ÿ˜œ

Aachen (Itโ€™s a city in Germany ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ; itโ€™s at the tri-point between Germany, the Netherlands, and Belgium).

Fun trivia: It is Germanyโ€™s westernmost city.

image.jpg.7a6356d3d8aa32627bc4d5e11e7c6590.jpg

@wooden_fish woops. sorry about that.

Ha, of course youโ€™re first @geniusbar2046 . Welcome to the game.

AHAH! Twasโ€™ the honor to be here first! Honestly, my finger click this thread faster than the speed of light when I saw it lolol

Nepa l

Lebanon ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ง

Lebanon ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ง

Netherlands

The only things I know are beautiful flowers, tasty treats and a cool looking character from Hetalia.

Sierra Nevada Mountains In the USA

@woodenfish

You read my mind! I was going to make a travel thread too. Only I did not think to make it like the Caterpillar Game thread. Good idea! I like having a game to go to. It is a nice break from the regular Forum. Kind of like a place to meet friends and relax and maybe meet new friends. ๐Ÿ˜Š

image.jpg.d009d31fda4358aa3a2c844547fd6d27.jpg

Sierra Nevada Mountains In the USA

@woodenfish

You read my mind! I was going to make a travel thread too. Only I did not think to make it like the Caterpillar Game thread. Good idea! I like having a game to go to. It is a nice break from the regular Forum. Kind of like a place to meet friends and relax and maybe meet new friends. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Abu Dhabi

Quiz Time! โฐ

What rare marine animal inhabits the waters of Abu Dhabi?

Answer!

Dugongs!

1772015241_ScreenShot2019-01-21at10_55_41am.jpg.b4b5dbbcc6642ae3b0fb9950723d1a2f.jpg

Abu Dhabi

Quiz Time! โฐ

What rare marine animal inhabits the waters of Abu Dhabi?

Answer!

Dugongs!

41%20am

I did not know about the animal! I might as well be first to say ISRAEL, home of:

image.jpg.6ec00cd899e9bd961e88f9995b93c436.jpg

Fiverr

I have been to Israel once, a long time ago. It was fascinating. One of the most interesting things for me was the old city of Jerusalem. The wall around it was so cool and I wouldnโ€™t have guessed how wide it was until I was there!

image.jpg.5309b4b7b6c35909ce9204054b7e4aad.jpg

I did not know about the animal! I might as well be first to say ISRAEL, home of:

Fiverr

I have been to Israel once, a long time ago. It was fascinating. One of the most interesting things for me was the old city of Jerusalem. The wall around it was so cool and I wouldnโ€™t have guessed how wide it was until I was there!

The top of that building is weird, but the inside of their HQ is so stylish.

El Dorado

Fictional/mythical/legendary places count too? :man_shrugging:

Itโ€™s time for round two of the Word Caterpillar game! This time spelled with only one โ€œtโ€โ€ฆ

On the last one, I loved all the cultures and local dishes that showed up. There were plenty Iโ€™ve never remotely heard of. For the most part, they looked delicious. Continuing with that strong sense of culture, this next go around weโ€™ll be focusing on Places Around the World. Towns, cities, countries, continents, landmarks, and geographical features are all fair game. May the odds be ever in your favor.

The Rules

For each post, choose a location starting with the last letter(s) of the word/phrase in the previous response. Feel free to share pictures and details. See the last thread for examples.

We may limit the thread to 100 responses or so, and then let the โ€œwinnerโ€ choose the next topic. I think that would be a good way to keep the game moving and have fun with more themes.

Weโ€™re going to start with a very fascinating place I recently learned about: Cholula.

More about Cholula

Cholula is a small region in Puebla, Mexico with ancient ruins; a giant, active volcano called popocatepetl; and other fun stuff. Itโ€™s home of the worldโ€™s largest pyramid (volume-wise).

Much of the great pyramid of Cholula is covered with flora; it looks like a geometric grassy mountain.

You started the thread, so technically you make the rules now! I saw that you quoted-

May the odds be ever in your favor.

To me that would mean fictional/mythical places (i.e. District 12) would count, but itโ€™s your call! What say ye, Fish of Wooden?

In case the answer is yes, to your El Dorado I offer:

Overlook Hotel Points for the first person to say where the Overlook Hotel is or comes from!

image.png.743cd90319c1b9469b4e5caab4375a90.png

You started the thread, so technically you make the rules now! I saw that you quoted-

May the odds be ever in your favor.

To me that would mean fictional/mythical places (i.e. District 12) would count, but itโ€™s your call! What say ye, Fish of Wooden?

In case the answer is yes, to your El Dorado I offer:

Overlook Hotel Points for the first person to say where the Overlook Hotel is or comes from!

To me that would mean fictional/mythical places (i.e. District 12) would count, but itโ€™s your call!

Alright, they absolutely count!

Overlook Hotel

Hotel Transylvania [shudder]

To me that would mean fictional/mythical places (i.e. District 12) would count, but itโ€™s your call!

Alright, they absolutely count!

Overlook Hotel

Hotel Transylvania [shudder]

Hotel Transylvani a

Ok, so this time, itโ€™s โ€˜aโ€™ thatโ€™s going to be a problem in this game not โ€˜eโ€™ ๐Ÿ˜‚

Alabama!

Scottyโ€™s Castle in Death Valley

image.thumb.jpg.671bae3b69eb7909a2e81c7ead6d98ff.jpg

โ€œConstruction began on Scottyโ€™s Castle in 1922, and cost between $1.5 and $2.5 million. A man named Walter Scott born in Cynthiana, Kentucky, also known as โ€œDeath Valley Scottyโ€, convinced Chicago millionaire Albert Johnson to invest in his gold mine in the Death Valley area. Walter Scott, convinced everyone that he had built the castle with money from his rich secret mines in the area and even had workers make noise when guests were over so they could pretend to be mining Scottyโ€™s fictional mine under the house. Albert Mussey Johnson actually built the house as a vacation getaway for himself and his wife Bessie and Scotty was simply a friend.โ€

image.thumb.jpg.595523f36f7b06b374c2fab1b1adb5f8.jpg

โ€œConstruction began on Scottyโ€™s Castle in 1922, and cost between $1.5 and $2.5 million. A man named Walter Scott born in Cynthiana, Kentucky, also known as โ€œDeath Valley Scottyโ€, convinced Chicago millionaire Albert Johnson to invest in his gold mine in the Death Valley area. Walter Scott, convinced everyone that he had built the castle with money from his rich secret mines in the area and even had workers make noise when guests were over so they could pretend to be mining Scottyโ€™s fictional mine under the house. Albert Mussey Johnson actually built the house as a vacation getaway for himself and his wife Bessie and Scotty was simply a friend.โ€

Death Valley Scottyโ€, convinced Chicago millionaire Albert Johnson to invest in his gold mine in the Death Valley area. Walter Scott, convinced everyone that he had built the castle with money from his rich secret mines in the area and even had workers make noise when guests were over so they could pretend to be mining Scottyโ€™s fictional mine under the house.

Wow. Thatโ€™s interesting ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Yokohama

Fun trivia: Yokohama is the LARGEST CITY IN JAPAN by population (tbh, I thought it was Tokyo :rofl:).

aleutian islands

The Aleutian Islands are a chain of 14 large volcanic islands and 55 smaller ones belonging to both the U.S. state of Alaska and the Russian federal subject of Kamchatka Krai.

Oh, interesting, I thought they were all part of Alaska.

Siam (Thailand) is home of a sweet, mild, chili sauce called Mae Ploy.

To me it looks (and tastes a bit) like duck sauce with pepper confetti. I only discovered it a couple weeks ago, so I havenโ€™t had much time to find all its uses, but next Iโ€™ll be trying it as a marinade on chicken, most likely.

Iโ€™d never heard of it before, but apparently itโ€™s a lot more prevalent than I realized and I think I can buy it at most of the chain grocery stores around here.

I wish theyโ€™d hire me as a designer because their packaging is a bit of a mess. Photography, too.

</ramble>

image.jpg.deaa95e7c1f5162209947fd7c3a21f34.jpg

Oh, interesting, I thought they were all part of Alaska.

Siam (Thailand) is home of a sweet, mild, chili sauce called Mae Ploy.

To me it looks (and tastes a bit) like duck sauce with pepper confetti. I only discovered it a couple weeks ago, so I havenโ€™t had much time to find all its uses, but next Iโ€™ll be trying it as a marinade on chicken, most likely.

Iโ€™d never heard of it before, but apparently itโ€™s a lot more prevalent than I realized and I think I can buy it at most of the chain grocery stores around here.

I wish theyโ€™d hire me as a designer because their packaging is a bit of a mess. Photography, too.

</ramble>

S ia m

Montana

Montana is the 4th largest state with an area of 147,040 miยฒ. From west to east it is 630 miles (1015 km) and 255 miles (410 km) from north to south.

Fun Story:

In Fort Benton, a cowboy once insisted on riding his horse to his room in the Grand Union Hotel. The manager objected, so the two exchanged gunfire. The Horseman was killed and, later, fourteen .44 slugs were found in his body.

Fun Fact: Fort Keogh holds the record for the largest snowflake ever observed, which was an astounding 15 inches in diameter. โ„๏ธ

Montana is geographically and economically diverse.

Mountains

image.thumb.jpg.0eb4dbb1bd51f9a3aa3c236def35efc8.jpg

Badlands

image.jpg.5ef97951c6500ca6888156aa823e4a13.jpg

Prairie

image.jpg.ae5835a853dc23a5da2498cffef81f14.jpg

This is the Rocky Mountain Front where the prairie meets the mountains

image.jpg.3f122a60462dc2fc93ff364d4ffcf5af.jpg

Fields of Grain

image.png.2d5af20e3c64938c73be690662c0cb4d.png

Ranches

image.jpg.9c69f24214087e93a66892a16f6d3a1d.jpg

There are more cattle in Montana than there are people.

image.jpg.1fdccef74dcaab48f18014df02af6c2d.jpg

Montana is the 4th largest state in the US, by area. You can fit Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania and New York within its borders and still have room for the District of Columbia.

image.thumb.jpg.ffa01895f39539affc3dd499806d2c01.jpg

SUNDARBANS

The Sundarbans is a mangrove area in the delta formed by the confluence of Ganges, Brahmaputra and Meghna Rivers in the Bay of Bengal. It spans from the Hooghly River in Indiaโ€™s state of West Bengal to the Baleswar River in Bangladesh

sundarbans-safari-tour-cover-600x338-o

Slovenia

Probably the only country Iโ€™ve seen with a prevalent logo for the tourism (besides a flag).

Slovenia

Probably the only country Iโ€™ve seen with a prevalent logo for the tourism (besides a flag).

Amarillo

A city in my neck of the woods, known for cattle ranching and business, not my favorite place but interesting! Home of the Cadillac Ranch โ€œartโ€ which was created by a rich dude with Cadillacs and a field and a funny sense of humor:

image.thumb.jpg.21ac34cd868782adb256f27597d53e3a.jpg

Trivia:

For those who know who Dr. Phil is (also not one of my favorite people), he was an unknown living near Amarillo, TX until he rose to fame very quickly. Oprah Winfrey did a show in Amarillo way back and it was not popular. Oprah hired a legal consulting firm and Phil McGraw owned the firm. He was also into a bunch of get-rich-quick schemes selling life coaching, weight loss products, yada yada.

Oprah liked him and put him on her show. He rose to fame and still does a lot of television as a โ€œpsychologistโ€ even though he has no license to practice psychology in any state.

I donโ€™t remember what happened in the Amarillo trials with Oprah, but when I think of Amarillo it makes me remember that and the Cadillac Ranch which is a cool place.

Amarillo

A city in my neck of the woods, known for cattle ranching and business, not my favorite place but interesting! Home of the Cadillac Ranch โ€œartโ€ which was created by a rich dude with Cadillacs and a field and a funny sense of humor:

Trivia:

For those who know who Dr. Phil is (also not one of my favorite people), he was an unknown living near Amarillo, TX until he rose to fame very quickly. Oprah Winfrey did a show in Amarillo way back and it was not popular. Oprah hired a legal consulting firm and Phil McGraw owned the firm. He was also into a bunch of get-rich-quick schemes selling life coaching, weight loss products, yada yada.

Oprah liked him and put him on her show. He rose to fame and still does a lot of television as a โ€œpsychologistโ€ even though he has no license to practice psychology in any state.

I donโ€™t remember what happened in the Amarillo trials with Oprah, but when I think of Amarillo it makes me remember that and the Cadillac Ranch which is a cool place.

I like the concept of the Cadillac art if not the style.

Not your favorite place? Based on your niche, I doubt itโ€™s the cattle or the fire ants that are the issue there? Texas is too hot for me.

I like the concept of the Cadillac art if not the style.

Not your favorite place? Based on your niche, I doubt itโ€™s the cattle or the fire ants that are the issue there? Texas is too hot for me.

Not your favorite place? Based on your niche, I doubt itโ€™s the cattle or the fire ants that are the issue there?

Yes, Amarillo is hot but so is this whole area so that doesnโ€™t bother me too much. I donโ€™t like the fire ants either, but they are all over this area too. ๐Ÿ™‚ I have no issues with cattle although I am not fond of some of the practices that go on in that industry. I donโ€™t eat meat which makes me weird to a lot of Texans! I have written about cows several times for Fiverr clients although luckily two of them were articles for a cow sanctuary in Southeast Asia. (Iโ€™d also love to go to a Gai Jatra Festival.)

I would probably be more at home visiting a cow sanctuary than a cow ranch in Texas, although I have enjoyed riding horses at cattle round-ups! Amarillo is okay, but just not a place I would live again. I would go back to the Cadillac ranch and it really looks awesome up close. The guy who did that has also done several all bizarre things to fields in that area. I donโ€™t think heโ€™s still living but I admire him!

Amarillo

image.jpg.7de4c974da80c65c8a02d8b56d60c27b.jpg

Trivia:

I do eat meat but I love living cows too; animals in general.

A marill o

Oslo, Norway

is the capital ofโ€ฆ Norway and a county in Norway. Itโ€™s ranked number one for quality of life in European cities with large urban parks, accessible public transportation, and a strong economy.

Archived