Working for Free?

subevicente

I’m getting my feet wet with Voice work here, but I’d like to work a few things for free just to get the hang of things around here. Is there a way to do that, or not?

I feel like since I’ve never done anything like this before, I want for people to see what I can do before putting a price tag on it.

A buyer has to order, pay, and then you deliver. That is how Fiverr works.

Working for free is of no advantage to you as a buyer has to buy your gig before they can leave a review if they wish to do so.

Suggest you read the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page for the rules as to how Fiverr works.

Everything is explained there in great detail.

On 6/29/2020 at 2:30 PM, subevicente said:

I’d like to work a few things for free just to get the hang of things around here.

The way things work around here, the minute you offer something for free, people try to take as much advantage as possible, belittle you, treat you disrespectfully, imply everything you do is wrong, and leave you a nervous wreck.

You could build someone a life size replica of Buckingham Palace, and they would still ask you to throw in free landscaping before leaving you a 1-star review for the hell of it.

Besides all that, you are not allowed to work for free.

Start selling all your gigs at a minimum price of $20 to $50. It is the only way to stay sane.

I’d like to work a few things for free just to get the hang of things around here.

The way things work around here, the minute you offer something for free, people try to take as much advantage as possible, belittle you, treat you disrespectfully, imply everything you do is wrong, and leave you a nervous wreck.

You could build someone a life size replica of Buckingham Palace, and they would still ask you to throw in free landscaping before leaving you a 1-star review for the hell of it.

Start selling all your gigs at a minimum price of $20 to $50. It is the only way to stay sane.

you are not allowed to work for free.

I was going to offer they pay me to hire them. The next step of Fiverr evolution.

Please don’t attempt to work for free. It devalues the Fiverr platform for everyone.

If you’re just starting out, record some sample scripts to use as demos. People can then hear what you sound like.

In order to get some initial orders and feedback, you might want to start at a minimum price point of $5… but then quickly put the price up to $10 or $15 once you’ve had 3 or 4 completed orders. If you’re good at what you do, you can then double your minimum price again.

However, please don’t work for $5 for too long as you will likely find you’ll attract a lot of scammer type buyers at this entry level price point.

I do not think you understand what working for free means.

Even when you get paid you are still working for free sometimes on Fiverr.

Here is sample:
@subevicente I am interested in hiring you for voice over audio files.
You have to read in serious calm reassuring voice (depending on the quote subject) following 100 quotes https://blog.hubspot.com/sales/famous-quotes.

You will have to provide me with high quality mp3 audio files, all separated and named as per quote with list of audio file names and quotes in word or excel format for easier search.

My budget for this is 5USD.

I’m getting my feet wet with Voice work here, but I’d like to work a few things for free just to get the hang of things around here. Is there a way to do that, or not?

I feel like since I’ve never done anything like this before, I want for people to see what I can do before putting a price tag on it.

Is there a way to do that, or not?

In Fiverr, I don’ think, it’s a good idea to give free work to your new client. Instead of doing this, I think you can offer a discount & show some sample works you had done in the past. 🙂

On 6/30/2020 at 8:01 AM, lloydsolutions said:

A buyer has to order, pay, and then you deliver. That is how Fiverr works.

Working for free is of no advantage to you as a buyer has to buy your gig before they can leave a review if they wish to do so.

Suggest you read the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page for the rules as to how Fiverr works.

Everything is explained there in great detail.

Understood; I’ll give it a read to get a better understanding

On 6/30/2020 at 8:02 AM, cyaxrex said:

I appreciate your candidness!

On 6/30/2020 at 8:03 AM, zerlina84 said:

Try searching the Buyer Requests section, there are plenty of offers that are basically working for free…

That is just what I am looking for! Something to get my feet wet and see how the whole process works. Thanks for your help.

On 6/30/2020 at 8:05 AM, english_voice said:

Please don’t attempt to work for free. It devalues the Fiverr platform for everyone.

If you’re just starting out, record some sample scripts to use as demos. People can then hear what you sound like.

In order to get some initial orders and feedback, you might want to start at a minimum price point of $5… but then quickly put the price up to $10 or $15 once you’ve had 3 or 4 completed orders. If you’re good at what you do, you can then double your minimum price again.

However, please don’t work for $5 for too long as you will likely find you’ll attract a lot of scammer type buyers at this entry level price point.

Will do! I was wondering what to record for a sample audio file when I was going through the process of making a Gig, and sample scripts sound like the perfect thing. Thanks for you help!

Will do! I was wondering what to record for a sample audio file when I was going through the process of making a Gig, and sample scripts sound like the perfect thing. Thanks for you help!

You can reply to many in one post by using quotes. As a new forum user, you have limits on how many posts you can write and if you split them up like this you will drain your post quota very fast.

Plus, I can not find your GIG on main Fiverr page.

I do not think you understand what working for free means.

Even when you get paid you are still working for free sometimes on Fiverr.

Here is sample:

@subevicente I am interested in hiring you for voice over audio files.

You have to read in serious calm reassuring voice (depending on the quote subject) following 100 quotes https://blog.hubspot.com/sales/famous-quotes.

You will have to provide me with high quality mp3 audio files, all separated and named as per quote with list of audio file names and quotes in word or excel format for easier search.

My budget for this is 5USD.

I see! Thanks for showing me that example, as I’m realizing now how much work that is for just $5!

edit: also noted for using quotes! I’ve got some learning to do here.

I see! Thanks for showing me that example, as I’m realizing now how much work that is for just $5!

edit: also noted for using quotes! I’ve got some learning to do here.

And now think about it, for how much are you willing to do it, that 100 quotes order?

Since unfortunately unless you are very lucky and get best buyers request in time, your first orders will be something along that line of soul crushing job.

You need to set limits. Fiverr is not going to do it for you.

I am actually thinking about posting this as buyer request to see who will apply.

And now think about it, for how much are you willing to do it, that 100 quotes order?

Since unfortunately unless you are very lucky and get best buyers request in time, your first orders will be something along that line of soul crushing job.

You need to set limits. Fiverr is not going to do it for you.

I am actually thinking about posting this as buyer request to see who will apply.

Honestly? Depending on when they are due, I would do it for $5. Why? I’d be learning the process of how Gigs work from start to finish. If I also learn that I’m getting ripped off, even better! I won’t make the same mistake twice.

Also I haven’t finished my first Gig because I was thinking of what to say for a sample voice line. I didn’t want to say something like, “Hey guys! Marcus here! Here’s my voice!” Someone recommended I use a sample script though, and I’m looking at a Narration Script to use for a recording right now.

Honestly? Depending on when they are due, I would do it for $5. Why? I’d be learning the process of how Gigs work from start to finish. If I also learn that I’m getting ripped off, even better! I won’t make the same mistake twice.

Also I haven’t finished my first Gig because I was thinking of what to say for a sample voice line. I didn’t want to say something like, “Hey guys! Marcus here! Here’s my voice!” Someone recommended I use a sample script though, and I’m looking at a Narration Script to use for a recording right now.

Yes, that someone is my friend @english_voice and he is right.

Here are same helpful tips https://www.voices.com/blog/voice-over-sample-scripts/

favicon-32x32.png.7fe756b61e8c7f4fae72df776436bff3.png Such A Voice – 9 Jun 17

How To Make A Voice-Over Demo

Learn more about the right way to record a professional voice-over demo while avoiding common pitfalls.

What equipment are you using for recording and in what environment (do you have sound proof area for recording)?

How good you are in video editing?

Check out some top sellers demos as guidance of quality.

And I believe in voice over section you can put three separate audio files so maybe combine categories in one audio sample (commercial, documentary, funny, entertaining, serious, business etc, combine things that go together in one audio sample file).

• 2 weeks later...

Just to be clear, I just did this.

My hope is that no one will apply, but if someone sends offer, is it my fault?

Some of those quotes might be copyrighted depending on when they were written etc. so for some of them they might not be allowed to use them/sell something with them legally.

Some of those quotes might be copyrighted depending on when they were written etc. so for some of them they might not be allowed to use them/sell something with them legally.

sell something with them legally

My overall scheme here is to put them in youtube motivational short videos.

Some nature with drone footage and then typography and voice over. On channel that is not monetized.

And yes, IF/ONCE I get 100 audio files my next BR is going to be 100 motivational videos duration each 1 minute for $5.

If that does not classify as working for free…

sell something with them legally

My overall scheme here is to put them in youtube motivational short videos.

Some nature with drone footage and then typography and voice over. On channel that is not monetized.

And yes, IF/ONCE I get 100 audio files my next BR is going to be 100 motivational videos duration each 1 minute for $5.

If that does not classify as working for free…

If you look up online at whether quotes are copyrighted it says then are generally and if someone is earning something from them (eg. the voice over person earning the $5) that could make it worse legally I think. It could still be copyright infringement depending on which quotes were used and when they were written.

If you look up online at whether quotes are copyrighted it says then are generally and if someone is earning something from them (eg. the voice over person earning the $5) that could make it worse legally I think. It could still be copyright infringement depending on which quotes were used and when they were written.

According to US copyright law, the legal rights to a quote belong by default to its author (or speaker). Quotes are considered intellectual property, which is protected under the law. This means that if you’re not a quote’s original author and you want to SELL something with the quote on it, one of two things must be true:

1. You have the author’s written permission to use their words on your work.
  2. The quote is no longer “owned” by the author and it has passed into what’s known as the public domain, meaning it can be freely used by anyone for any purpose. When a quote passes into the public domain, it’s almost always because it’s old enough that its copyright has expired.

This is related to putting quotes on something to SELL that something while quote being the reason for the purchase.

According to US copyright law, the legal rights to a quote belong by default to its author (or speaker). Quotes are considered intellectual property, which is protected under the law. This means that if you’re not a quote’s original author and you want to SELL something with the quote on it, one of two things must be true:

1. You have the author’s written permission to use their words on your work.
  2. The quote is no longer “owned” by the author and it has passed into what’s known as the public domain, meaning it can be freely used by anyone for any purpose. When a quote passes into the public domain, it’s almost always because it’s old enough that its copyright has expired.

This is related to putting quotes on something to SELL that something while quote being the reason for the purchase.

So while they’re mostly talking about printed things there, the audio file(s) would have the quotes on/in them and those would be sold through Fiverr. So depending on which quotes were used (eg. if they’re too recent and not in the public domain) that could be copyright infringement by the seller if they used them.

eg. some of those quotes will be protected from life+70 years if they were written.

Basically it might be simpler/less legal problems to not use the quotes and just add new text to the videos (edit: unless you made sure you only used quotes from people who wrote them long enough ago).

So while they’re mostly talking about printed things there, the audio file(s) would have the quotes on/in them and those would be sold through Fiverr. So depending on which quotes were used (eg. if they’re too recent and not in the public domain) that could be copyright infringement by the seller if they used them.

eg. some of those quotes will be protected from life+70 years if they were written.

Basically it might be simpler/less legal problems to not use the quotes and just add new text to the videos (edit: unless you made sure you only used quotes from people who wrote them long enough ago).

I never looked for this, and I can not believe I found something exactly as I was thinking of doing.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.e5448508e1c17bed996009452ffc0b1f.jpg

I’ve seen BRs far more outrageous. You are going to get many offers, mark my words.

@zerlina84 You are not going to believe this.

I have offers, I have dozens of offers, but boy, are these people …well. I just had to explain 20 times what quotes I want and how I want, and if only they were trolling me I would be happy, but they are not…

And the best parts are some are sending me messages from two accounts, the same person. How do I know? Because I ask on one account and I get respond to that question on another account LOL.

Crazy…

image.png.44f2056298acc58199efd1bfcef8acf0.png

#cryinginternally

Archived