Fiverr Forum

Would having a Specific Fiverr Skype account be ok to share with clients?

I am a voice actress and would love to give some of my clients the option to direct me live. However, I would need them to call me through Skype for it to work. I was thinking if it’s ok to have a Fiverr twitter and Facebook page, then why not a Skype? People can message you on Facebook or Twitter, so that’s techinically outisde of the Fiverr realm.

Anyways, just thought I would ask before I started advertising it.

Hi,

You really need to read the ToS before doing anything. You can use social media on your own to promote and direct traffic back to Fiverr. You can’t use Fiverr to send people to any if your social media or your contact methods without special written permission from Fiverr. The ToS says:

To protect our users’ privacy, user identities are kept anonymous. Requesting or providing Email addresses, Skype/IM usernames, telephone numbers or any other personal contact details to communicate outside of Fiverr in order to circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform is not permitted.

There are a few exceptions for the purpose of providing sample work but those still shouldn’t be used to communicate outside Fiverr. Just for portfolio purposes you can use SoundCloud, YouTube or Flickr. The portfolio site cannot cannot have your outside contact info.

fonthaunt said: to communicate outside of Fiverr in order to circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform

I’m not positive what that means, but what I’m hearing is, is that as long as I’m not abusing the system, it should be cool?

Contact Customer Service and tell them what you are wanting to do. Chances are that they will approve it, as long as they know ahead of time.

Also, you have to be very sure, after you get approval from Customer Support, that you only give out that Skype AFTER someone has bought and paid for your gig, do not give it out beforehand.

And Skype is not really the same as FB and Twitter, whch are for promotions and public in general, SKype is for private communication so it is different than social media sites.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I will contact customer service and see what they have to say. I think the gig extra is a really great one that I know some clients would love to tak advantage of!

cool, let us know how it works out. It is an interesting gig extra to consider. Though do put a time limit on it, as I am sure you could then be on the skype for hours, so price that extra accordingly.

Reply to @talethia: To a large degree, @jenniferdetar is correct. If you can get a customer service rep to approve the communications and you keep the message (preferably in text and screen shot) you “should” be OK.

The thing is, most Fiverr staff would say that any outside communicate that isn’t absolutely necessary to complete a gig is still abuse of either the system or the platform. So, some kinds of permission are harder to get than others. Even if you get permission, they can also still penalize you if they deem the use of outside communication to be outside of the given permission. I wouldn’t risk it unless you have a gig type that can’t do without it.

Reply to @sincere18: Definitely! I am thinking $20 for a half hour should be good. I’ll let you know what happens!

Reply to @talethia: yes, let us know what you hear back from Fiverr and how it goes with your live clients.

Reply to @sincere18: Just got a message back regarding the gig extra and great news! They say it should be fine as long as it’s clear in the description. :

“Thank you for contacting us about this. If you would like to offer a new service, or just a gig extra on existing service, that is related to Skype, you’re welcome to do so and make sure that your gig/gig extra related to that is clear and understandable because our editors will be reviewing it.
If they approve it, you’re good to go.”

Reply to @talethia: That is great. I agree with the need to be clear about it and to only exchange that info once someone has paid for a gig. But very cool. Hope it goes well for you.