@WPdevelopers: Are you offering any services related to GDPR?

uxreview

Before I get to the main question, let’s start with the facts

• The purpose of General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is to protect the privacy of EU residents. GDPR will make sure that every EU resident knows what kind of data websites are collecting about them, where & how it’s stored and more importantly every site owner must delete that data when a user requests it. The list goes on, but I’m trying to keep it simple here.
  • GDPR applies to ALL websites visited by EU residents. As soon as you collect ANY data from an EU resident, you will be subject to this regulation.
  • GDPR compliance deadline is May 25, 2018

Now, I can see that there are some gigs about GDPR on Fiverr, but most of them aren’t really related to web development. So my questions are targeted towards developers.
On one side, the site owner takes the responsibility, but if you’re offering a service and not just a boilerplate website, should we as developers include it as part of our premium service? 🙂

1. Are you offering GDPR consultation or any documentation to your clients after building their website?
  2. Do you have a separate gig for it? Are you planning to offer it when the deadline approaches?
  3. Are you using any tools to make sure your client’s website will be GDPR compliant?

Let me know what you think.

PS. Others may comment here as well, but I targeted it towards developers because I assume most sellers here don’t care about it 🙂

Since I’m a WP consultant myself I figured I’ll provide my answers as well 😛

1. I don’t offer GDPR consultation, but my handover documentation does include a section with links about GDPR to make sure my clients are aware of this.
  2. I don’t have a separate gig for it, but I’m thinking about it. I’m not yet sure if it should be offered separately or as a package deal.
  3. I’m using plugins that collect information about users so I mention these to the customer as well.
    – I use Gravity Forms for most of my websites. There’s an addon for it that helps with the GDPR compliance. However, since it’s a premium add-on I let my clients decide if they want it or not.
    – I use iThemes to keep the websites secure and they are hosting a free webinar in May.
    – I use UpdraftPlus for backups and they will be addressing GDPR concerns in the upcoming weeks
    – I recommend all my clients to upload their privacy policy and if they do it then I will make it as a mandatory requirement for every form user can fill out.

Since I’m a WP consultant myself I figured I’ll provide my answers as well 😛

1. I don’t offer GDPR consultation, but my handover documentation does include a section with links about GDPR to make sure my clients are aware of this.
  2. I don’t have a separate gig for it, but I’m thinking about it. I’m not yet sure if it should be offered separately or as a package deal.
  3. I’m using plugins that collect information about users so I mention these to the customer as well.

– I use Gravity Forms for most of my websites. There’s an addon for it that helps with the GDPR compliance. However, since it’s a premium add-on I let my clients decide if they want it or not.

– I use iThemes to keep the websites secure and they are hosting a free webinar in May.

– I use UpdraftPlus for backups and they will be addressing GDPR concerns in the upcoming weeks

– I recommend all my clients to upload their privacy policy and if they do it then I will make it as a mandatory requirement for every form user can fill out.

I don’t have a separate gig for it, but I’m thinking about it. I’m not yet sure if it should be offered separately or as a package deal.

I am in no way qualified to speak on WP, but on marketing and sales, yes. I support you on this thought. There is a clear need (time bound even) of these services. Your research shows that the market may not be that saturated since it is a specific issue. I would create it and see what happens. Down side is you get some buyers asking about the gig who have no idea what they’re doing. Best case, you get customers that have been looking for this as well and now have a seller that can provide it for them.

You have been around this block MANY more times than I have, but here is my marketing/sales 2 cents if you’d like 🙂

I don’t have a separate gig for it, but I’m thinking about it. I’m not yet sure if it should be offered separately or as a package deal.

I am in no way qualified to speak on WP, but on marketing and sales, yes. I support you on this thought. There is a clear need (time bound even) of these services. Your research shows that the market may not be that saturated since it is a specific issue. I would create it and see what happens. Down side is you get some buyers asking about the gig who have no idea what they’re doing. Best case, you get customers that have been looking for this as well and now have a seller that can provide it for them.

You have been around this block MANY more times than I have, but here is my marketing/sales 2 cents if you’d like 🙂

Down side is you get some buyers asking about the gig who have no idea what they’re doing.

That’s what concerns me as well. I think I will first add it to my existing website revamp package. That way I have a bit more control over what I can do for them. With WordPress it really depends on what kind of plugins they are using and how the entire site is built up. With my own packages I can choose the plugins myself.

Best case, you get customers that have been looking for this as well

I would hope so because there are actual penalties involved. I suppose some businesses will ignore it at first, but once the first audits start, they will reach out to developers 🙂 I’m guessing mom & pop shops will end up here due to low budget.

Down side is you get some buyers asking about the gig who have no idea what they’re doing.

That’s what concerns me as well. I think I will first add it to my existing website revamp package. That way I have a bit more control over what I can do for them. With WordPress it really depends on what kind of plugins they are using and how the entire site is built up. With my own packages I can choose the plugins myself.

Best case, you get customers that have been looking for this as well

I would hope so because there are actual penalties involved. I suppose some businesses will ignore it at first, but once the first audits start, they will reach out to developers 🙂 I’m guessing mom & pop shops will end up here due to low budget.

I agree with both of your points, and especially with adding it to your “revamp gig”, Like you said, it’s only part of it so you have control. I also agree with the thought of getting the “Oh Shoot, I better get this done now!” customer’s once this thing hits.

Basically, I agree with everything lol.

Archived