Write a gig description that stands out

matureactress

1. Take off your Seller hat and put on a Buyer’s hat in order to view your gig differently.

2. Stop pitching. The Buyer has already decided your gig is worth looking into when they clicked on you. Now, give them what they need to feel confident enough to hit the order button. Do your pitching in your video

3. Write the gig like you’re writing a contract, because that’s exactly what you’re doing. Buyers want to know exactly what they’re agreeing to by ordering from you. Craft your “About” section and EXTRAs carefully.

4. Refrain from too much negativity. Sure, your last Buyer was wearing horns and carrying a pitchfork and you want to guard against another like him, but being on the defensive in your gig will be a turn-off for most.

5. Keep the gig well structured and easy to understand. Use bullet points if necessary.

6. Ask someone else to proofread you gig before posting. Errors are hard to find when you’re the author. It’s only a little bit more effort and well worthwhile and gives Buyers confidence that quality is important to you.

7. Pray to the cyber-gods that your gig lands on the first search page.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I’ve been on Fiverr for quite a while, and almost all my advice has come down to one thing. Make sure your gig description reads well. Now, with a lot of other sections on Fiverr, I admit, it’s fine to have grammatical errors and not perfect English because obviously that’s not your area of expertise. As long as you come across as professional, it’s truly not a big deal.

However, if you are in the ‘Writing and Translation’ section, it’s VITAL to have advanced language and come across as a perfect speaker of the language. It irks me when I come across sellers who claim they can write a brilliant novel but can’t even construct a simple sentence through messages. I personally specialize in writing creative, as well as professional content for clients, and I always make sure every single message reads professionally and grammatically correct. It creates trust between a buyer and seller that the seller can deliver content as well written as their responses. You wouldn’t write a poorly written resume and expect an employer to look past it and hire you for a writing job anyways, right?

So, here’s my advice if your having trouble getting orders and your in this section! (This is urged to be applied in all sections but mostly writing/translation)

• Comb through every word in your gig and make sure the spelling, grammar and sentence structure is correct. When a buyer spots mistakes, it instantly creates suspicion as to if your work reflects those mistakes. It also just comes across as less professional.

• Every response you give a customer should be phrased in the same manner as above (check spelling, grammar, etc.). Never use acronyms, spell everything out! I always give my responses a once over to make sure I made no mistakes (you’d be surprised how many people don’t do this!)

• Although a lot of people on Fiverr aren’t fluent in English, if your offering English writing services, unfortunately you HAVE to be pretty fluent (unless you state otherwise). It’s impossible to receive an order if someone asking for English services sees that your English isn’t good. But It’s not the end of the world! There are plenty of other services you can offer if your stuck in this situation! 🙂

Anyways, these are just a few pointers I’ve seen help myself, as well as a few others, so I thought I’d share. Again, this doesn’t apply to all sections, but it would help anyone’s gig out if their trying to appear professional. I’m excited to hear what others think about this and if anyone has any other tips!

This is also a pet peeve of mine. I found a gig the other day that offered to do any kind of “writting” and it was spelled that way several times throughout the gig, along with plenty of other errors.

I take writing really seriously. I got my degree in writing. I write for fun in my free time. I’m involved in several writing communities, both online and in real life. I take writing really seriously. I love it more than anything else. When I see people who don’t take it seriously, that bothers me.
Just sell something you actually are good at, you know?

Leave the writing gigs for those us who actually give a hoot about writing.

I totally agree, especially in regards to translation. A lot of people think that knowing two languages is enough qualification to translate, but if you don’t know both languages to the point of fluency then it’s a really bad idea to offer translation services in either of them.

On 3/28/2018 at 2:11 PM, jenihiggs said:

This is also a pet peeve of mine. I found a gig the other day that offered to do any kind of “writting” and it was spelled that way several times throughout the gig, along with plenty of other errors.

I take writing really seriously. I got my degree in writing. I write for fun in my free time. I’m involved in several writing communities, both online and in real life. I take writing really seriously. I love it more than anything else. When I see people who don’t take it seriously, that bothers me.

Just sell something you actually are good at, you know?

Leave the writing gigs for those us who actually give a hoot about writing.

Totally agree! Some of us have been writing for years, there’s already enough competition for us!

On 3/28/2018 at 2:13 PM, somaginer1996 said:

I totally agree, especially in regards to translation. A lot of people think that knowing two languages is enough qualification to translate, but if you don’t know both languages to the point of fluency then it’s a really bad idea to offer translation services in either of them.

Agreed, I’ve actually come across a few people who use google translate…safe to say Fiverr has probably removed their gigs by now… but really… why?

I’ve been on Fiverr for quite a while, and almost all my advice has come down to one thing. Make sure your gig description reads well. Now, with a lot of other sections on Fiverr, I admit, it’s fine to have grammatical errors and not perfect English because obviously that’s not your area of expertise. As long as you come across as professional, it’s truly not a big deal.

However, if you are in the ‘Writing and Translation’ section, it’s VITAL to have advanced language and come across as a perfect speaker of the language. It irks me when I come across sellers who claim they can write a brilliant novel but can’t even construct a simple sentence through messages. I personally specialize in writing creative, as well as professional content for clients, and I always make sure every single message reads professionally and grammatically correct. It creates trust between a buyer and seller that the seller can deliver content as well written as their responses. You wouldn’t write a poorly written resume and expect an employer to look past it and hire you for a writing job anyways, right?

So, here’s my advice if your having trouble getting orders and your in this section! (This is urged to be applied in all sections but mostly writing/translation)

• Comb through every word in your gig and make sure the spelling, grammar and sentence structure is correct. When a buyer spots mistakes, it instantly creates suspicion as to if your work reflects those mistakes. It also just comes across as less professional.

• Every response you give a customer should be phrased in the same manner as above (check spelling, grammar, etc.). Never use acronyms, spell everything out! I always give my responses a once over to make sure I made no mistakes (you’d be surprised how many people don’t do this!)

• Although a lot of people on Fiverr aren’t fluent in English, if your offering English writing services, unfortunately you HAVE to be pretty fluent (unless you state otherwise). It’s impossible to receive an order if someone asking for English services sees that your English isn’t good. But It’s not the end of the world! There are plenty of other services you can offer if your stuck in this situation! 🙂

Anyways, these are just a few pointers I’ve seen help myself, as well as a few others, so I thought I’d share. Again, this doesn’t apply to all sections, but it would help anyone’s gig out if their trying to appear professional. I’m excited to hear what others think about this and if anyone has any other tips!

if your having trouble getting orders and your in this section! (

It happens to everyone…

Totally agree.

It irks me when I come across sellers who claim they can write a brilliant novel but can’t even construct a simple sentence

They are unaware that how they write is not correct or acceptable. They have no way of knowing.

It irks me when I come across sellers who claim they can write a brilliant novel but can’t even construct a simple sentence

They are unaware that how they write is not correct or acceptable. They have no way of knowing.

Yes, I’m sure that’s true for some cases, otherwise they wouldn’t have made a gig I suppose. Hopefully more people reach out to these sellers and kindly advise them to improve or change their gig so they can start getting some sales.

Yes, I’m sure that’s true for some cases, otherwise they wouldn’t have made a gig I suppose. Hopefully more people reach out to these sellers and kindly advise them to improve or change their gig so they can start getting some sales.

I’ve tried that but without any success in getting through.

• 3 years later...

Greetings everyone!

I’m not an experienced seller nor a successful one, the one who has never got any order, but I still wish to help new sellers like me to write a gig description that stands out.

1. For me, a description of 700 characters is ideal because it is neither too short nor too long, so try to keep it somewhere near 700 characters.

2. Make sure it does not have any spelling, grammar, or punctuation mistakes because mistakes will make you look unprofessional and create a bad impression. If you can’t ensure it yourself, then you can try using tools like Becorrect or Grammarly.

3. Formatting options are there for a reason, make use of them and bold all the important sentences/words that you want the seller to notice first. (You can also highlight them).

4. Split long paragraphs into lines and make use of bullets; instead of using commas to list whatever you offer - It will make reading it faster and easier.

5. Don’t forget to use SEO!

That is the clever part, use keywords in your description as much as possible; it will make your gig perform better.

1. Follow this order in your gig description:

Greeting

Welcome the buyers to your gig by greeting them.

You can use something like Hi! I hope you’re doing great.

Introduction

Introduce yourself and let them know about your experience.

(Keep it short and simple).

Complication

Let them know the problem they are facing or might face later.

For example, Buyer is a game developer and can’t think of a good game idea to work on - It’s a complication.

Something like Making a great video game requires a great idea and, you are probably unable to think of one. Worry not! I have got you covered. should work fine.

Solution

Let them know the solution you have to their complication.

For example, You can write a game idea for them - It’s a solution.

Also, let them know what you have to offer and what they will get from you.

For example, I will provide you with a unique game idea for your next game, explained in a document. The number of words in that document depends on the subscription you choose. More words mean more detail.

Something Special

Leave this part for writing something special that you offer and other sellers don’t. It can be anything from a free additional service to faster delivery. (It is optional to write this part, but doing this will give you an edge over other sellers).

Final Line

Write a final line that will make them message you or place an order.

You can use something like I would love to clear any other query regarding this Gig. Do not hesitate to message me!

The thing to remember is what works for one seller might not work for another.

Some services need very little explanation, others need detailed explanation. For me, writing a 700 word description is way over the top for most services. Closer to 200 or 300 words is probably about right. At the end of the day, it’s not about word count - but what information the words communicate. To put it in perspective, your entire (long) post is ‘only’ 450 words and packs in a lot of information.

You’ve also got to remember that many sellers and buyers on Fiverr don’t have English as their first language and will struggle to write or read 700 words. If I was a buyer attempting to read 700 words of badly written English it would only make me realise this is a seller I don’t want to work with! Whereas if they had written 200 words, they might get away with it! A long post can do more harm than good.

Also, and it’s a personal thing (although I know of others who would say the same), if I see a phrase like “I hope you’re doing great” it greatly irritates me and makes me not want to work with that person. Some people think it’s a friendly phrase, others (like me) think it’s a hideous use of the English language. Again, for me, it just sets the wrong tone - I don’t find it a professional way to communicate.

So what works for one person doesn’t always work for another. And while I actually agree with some of your post, in terms of maintaining integrity on the forum, new sellers should always be cautious about taking advice from other inexperienced sellers.

I’m certainly not saying I’m right and you’re wrong (I’m really not), but it’s important for sellers to find what works for them and to inject their own personality into their profile and gigs. 

On 4/6/2021 at 1:03 PM, umerkhanniazi said:

1. For me, a description of 700 characters is ideal because it is neither too short nor too long, so try to keep it somewhere near 700 characters.

There’s no way to write a 700-word gig description. The word count is set to 1200 characters maximum, which is equivalent to 200 words, give or take. 

On 4/7/2021 at 3:33 AM, maitasun said:

There’s no way to write a 700-word gig description. The word count is set to 1200 characters maximum, which is equivalent to 200 words, give or take.

Actually, I meant 700 characters not words. 😅 

On 4/7/2021 at 3:36 AM, english_voice said:

The thing to remember is what works for one seller might not work for another.

Some services need very little explanation, others need detailed explanation. For me, writing a 700 word description is way over the top for most services. Closer to 200 or 300 words is probably about right. At the end of the day, it’s not about word count - but what information the words communicate. To put it in perspective, your entire (long) post is ‘only’ 450 words and packs in a lot of information.

You’ve also got to remember that many sellers and buyers on Fiverr don’t have English as their first language and will struggle to write or read 700 words. If I was a buyer attempting to read 700 words of badly written English it would only make me realise this is a seller I don’t want to work with! Whereas if they had written 200 words, they might get away with it! A long post can do more harm than good.

Also, and it’s a personal thing (although I know of others who would say the same), if I see a phrase like “I hope you’re doing great” it greatly irritates me and makes me not want to work with that person. Some people think it’s a friendly phrase, others (like me) think it’s a hideous use of the English language. Again, for me, it just sets the wrong tone - I don’t find it a professional way to communicate.

So what works for one person doesn’t always work for another. And while I actually agree with some of your post, in terms of maintaining integrity on the forum, new sellers should always be cautious about taking advice from other inexperienced sellers.

I’m certainly not saying I’m right and you’re wrong (I’m really not), but it’s important for sellers to find what works for them and to inject their own personality into their profile and gigs.

First of all, I meant to say 700 characters not words.

Secondly, Thank you for highlighting everything you felt wrong about this post. It would help many new sellers. 😃 

First of all, I meant to say 700 characters not words.

Secondly, Thank you for highlighting everything you felt wrong about this post. It would help many new sellers. 😃

As I said, I’m not saying you’re wrong and I’m right - it’s just different things work for different people. Good luck with developing a successful business on Fiverr.

As I said, I’m not saying you’re wrong and I’m right - it’s just different things work for different people. Good luck with developing a successful business on Fiverr.

You’re not saying but actually you’re right. It’s great learning from an experienced seller. 😃

Archived