You get what you pay for

Guest flavimedia

Guest flavimedia

One of the most common lines I hear on a daily basis in conducting business transactions is ‘you get what you pay for’. For example, if you buy a cheap pair of shoes and they only last for 3 months, you get what you pay for. If you buy that rusty 1980 car and you were expecting to take a road trip and you only got 200 miles and it died, you get what you pay for. When it comes to conducting business, I have purchased services from firms that claim if you buy the bells and whistles package, you get all the bells and whistles. If you purchase the basic package and it doesn’t do anything for you, well, again, you get what you pay for.

I realize that with allowing a potential buyer to purchase your good or service for $5, you often want to just provide them with an associated value that is only worth $5 or even less. Let me tell you that I started off with that perception and for months I didn’t receive any orders. About 4 months ago, I changed my perception and now make a $5 value more like $100 value. For those who actually sell a product, I am not telling you to go take a loss and sell a $100 item for $5, but build the value to show that the ability to have such a product is worth more than the $5 bill and those who sell a service, go over and beyond, as when you find a customer, you want to cherish that opportunity and do whatever you can to either get them to return or provide a way to gain extra customers based on that one experience. With this experience, I was able to reach level 2. We often learn from our mistakes or limited knowledge, but take this experience as an opportunity when you develop your gigs.

Whatever your gig happens to be, the bottom line is to make sure that you provide a high level of quality, service, and value. You will reap the benefits in the end.

Bradley B-)

This is good advice. When I started out I actually had the opposite idea to what you had first off - I was willing to give my graphics out for free - since it was a hobby for me. When I came to fiverr I was willing to go above and beyond for $5. Although after a while, when you start getting more and more sales, where I am now - I actually feel like a lot of the work I do is worth more than the $5 and could be getting paid $50.

But you have to remind your self that this is why you are getting customers and why your customers keep coming back, quality work for a super cheap price. Also, there is also gig extras you can put, which I have on every gig - “tip/more complicated work”. This allows customers to buy it when they think the work is worth more than $5.

Although, you also get those customers who do not understand that $5 for what you do for them is not enough. Some days I work hours and hours all up on 1 gig, where the customer has only paid $5, yet expects me to keep changing/working more - and ends up leaving no tip! But these are the customers you just have to put up with, still be polite and hope they don’t come back. Lmao! To be honest I’ve only had around 3 customers like that in all the time I’ve been here, so that’s okay.

The problem with “You get what you pay for” …is that it’s only half the story and it’s about “blaming buyers” …

Most successful folk on fiverr provide an incredible value for a little money. AND, sellers that sell for a whole lot of money are providing even exponentially more value for the now larger amounts. That’s how a marketplace thrives.

I always thought the right way to work on fiverr platform, is not to think about what I get from this gig in the short run, but to look at the bigger picture. Always give more than your buyer asked for, even if the gig worth “only 4$”. If you give wonderful service/product you will manage eventually to get also the extra juice (extras), from your orders. A returning customer is a good example where you get free publicity as your customer becomes good ambassador for your gig. Let alone, it doesn’t matter in your customer eyes if you got good/bad feedback on a certain order worth 5$ or a lot more. The effect on buyers is the same, and can be the difference between a real success on Fiverr, or just managing to keep your head above water.

Archived