Fiverr Forum

You must Understand Supply and Demand

I’m noticing that most sellers who come to the forum with complaints about not getting orders lack an understanding of supply and demand, so I thought I’d share this article about how it works. https://www.intelligenteconomist.com/supply-and-demand/

Supply and demand will always dictate what sells and what doesn’t and for what value, regardless of how great your gig is.

Don’t think you can overcome the law of supply and demand by undercharging your gig or offering lots of freebies. It won’t help you. Neither will exploiting yourself.

This is why it’s incredibly important to avoid creating gigs that have a massive competition on Fiverr. And you don’t know if you do unless you research. Most sellers who complain here about not getting orders have gigs that have literally dozens of thousands of competitors on Fiverr alone.

You absolutely must research your competition and your market before you create a gig or make any changes to it.

17 Likes

Unfortunately a lot of people think it’s supply and demand and nothing else. 10 donuts for $1.

Eh, no.

I tutor by the session, because I know the anxiety crises students deal with. Not by the hour. By the session.

This got me a month long gig. So economics isn’t limited to the numbers. I offered something that resonated with the demand rather than trying to bait the demand.

5 Likes

Demand means they want something that isn’t already being filled. It does not just mean that people want it and it doesn’t mean “baiting” them to make them want it and that’s not at all what I’m telling people to do. I’m not sure where you got that impression. A lot of people want logos, but there isn’t a demand here for it because there are dozens of thousands of Fiverr Sellers offering it.

“10 donuts for $1.” – Yes, I know that’s wrong. That’s why I’m telling people to do their research so that they won’t have to do this. I’m telling people how to AVOID doing that. They won’t avoid it by creating gigs that literally thousands of other sellers have also created.

It’s great that you got a month-long gig, but that doesn’t negate what I’m saying. It actually supports what I’m saying because what you’re offering doesn’t have massive competition, so it’s not even comparable to what I’m talking about.

Creating something of value only gets sales if people 1. Know they need it and 2. The people who want it can discover it. 3. You stand out from your competition. None of these things can be present if you’re offering an obsolete service that’s a needle in a haystack on Fiverr.

I’m telling people to research their market to see what their market wants, but you think I’m telling people to “bait” people into buying things. That’s literally the opposite of what i’m saying.

6 Likes

@drama_zero congratulation for posting for the first time in the Fiverr forum :slight_smile: wish you best of luck

Sorry, no. I wasn’t saying you were doing that. S + D = E is a rancid meme I find among a lot of people. A lot of people think it’s all bait. Of course, it’s big in the cryptocurrency forums, sadly.

1 Like

Supply and demand is an economic theory that is accepted. It is not strictly in play on fiverr. What determines supply and demand on fiverr is the value buyers see in each individual seller’s offerings.

So you could have 10,000 logo makers, but only 10 who charged $1000 and got steady orders, due to being so much more desirable. They are in demand. The rest are not.

There is one who charges $30,000. He may have priced himself out of demand or in less demand since he may only get one or two orders per year.

So if you are among a select tiny group of very exceptional logo makers, you will be more in demand than the other thousands of logo makers. You will be in your own little niche.

2 Likes

Absolutely, but all of that depends on you being discoverable and standing out. That can’t necessarily happen (or is very unlikely to happen) if there are dozens of thousands of sellers in the same search query, regardless of how exceptional your work is. If you differentiate yourself to an audience for which you have low competition, but high-demand, that can help. But the examples I’m referring to, the forum members who come here with this complaint, aren’t doing that and I’m not referring to that scenario. I’m referring to people who aren’t differentiating themselves at all. Literally doing the exact same thing as thousands of other people.

Yes, being exceptional puts you on a different plane and means you can value yourself differently. But a needle in a haystack is still a needle in a haystack, even if it’s a very high quality needle. So it’s still a risk, but it can be much less of a risk if you understand your market and develop your gig around where the gaps are in the supply (and are superior in that work). The sellers who fill in those market gaps aren’t the people I’m referring to.

2 Likes

So at least 90% of let’s use logo makers as an example are indistinguishable from the rest. A huge supply with a demand that will not provide all of them with orders.
Having some real talent, and an ability to provide excellent customer service and communicate well, helps a lot. Many don’t have this either.

2 Likes

Yep. It’s so risky! Ever since I started on Fiverr, I’ve found it helpful that I communicate a lot better than many sellers here. The feedback I received early on was that I was selected because my English was so much better. So even things like that can help you differentiate, but in this example it wouldn’t really help me stand out. I’d still need people to note good English of my title when they’re browsing through search results to stand out for that reason.

1 Like

I noticed that one logo designer was made a top rated seller after about one year on fiverr. So it’s remarkable that he stood out to the editors, and shows they do notice when someone has genuine talent. He has about 100 reviews. His work is better than most others. It’s more polished and his gigs look polished.

1 Like

I do wonder about those cases, when someone has a mediocre, super competitive service, they don’t communicate well, etc. yet they perform well. Is it just luck? Do they have referrals from elsewhere? It’s so bizarre to me.

I feel like these cases embolden so many other mediocre sellers here. They think they can achieve the same heights, too, in their minds.

1 Like

I’ve noticed run of the mill mediocre logo designers who have at least 20 orders in their queues. They stay very busy but I can’t see why. They have a lot of bad reviews as well. I always wonder what’s going on.

1 Like

Sometimes I envy them, but then I look at what they charge…

1 Like

There are 10,000 others just as mediocre who never get orders. Maybe they have the market on average or slightly below. Or maybe I just have an eye for excellence, while others prefer something less elegant. A horse head in a circle for example will appeal to a lot of people.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what gets me. How are these successful mediocre people even discovered? Is it just the filters buyers use like they only want TRS or something? But how did they become TRS? Is it the egg before the chicken or vice versa? haha

2 Likes

The ones I’ve noticed are level 2, not even TRS, yet have dozens of orders all the time with these awful cookie cutter logos they churn out. They probably recycle about 100 standard logos.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s so weird. I wonder if a lot of them are just repeat buyers outsourcing client work. Maybe in these cases these people build powerful contacts and that helps them acquire a lot of social proof and then momentum helps the gig grow from there.

They have every tenth review “cancelled order, seller failed to deliver” but that doesn’t stop people from ordering. It’s a mystery why.

4 Likes