You're Not Special: A Lesson in Patience

Y’all need to realize that making a Fiverr account and creating some gigs doesn’t mean you’ll be an instant success and Top Rated Seller making a 6 figure salary within the first month. The seller pool in almost all the fields is heavily saturated with sellers. You’re not special.

Knowing this, don’t ask inane questions like “how to get my first order” or “how to get level one in a month” or anything that has to do with “how to” get instant success. Success on this site is not guaranteed. There are tips that can heighten your chances of getting buyers, but nothing is surefire. Also know that all of these tips have already been exhausted and posted in the Tips section, and there’s no need to ask questions the answer to is on the Fiverr site or the Forum.

Some things you could do are

• Familiarize yourself with the Fiverr site (TOS, Seller Support Center, etc.)
  • Take a Learn course or two if you can afford it
  • Invest in yourself and your business
  • Read before you write.
  • Be patient
  • Read over some of the top forum posts on success if you’re looking for some free professional development.

You shouldn’t

• Ask a question that’s been asked and answered a million times over
  • Like 84
  • Up 3

• 1 month later...

Something I’ve realized with this site, is that you have to be thinking of it as a marketing opportunity. You’ll have to branch out to your other platforms and get people who would normally request work from you, to come over to fiverr and put in that request here. It also helps to let people know that you do indeed have a seller page 😄

My first gig came the first day I set it up, mostly because I let it be known to the people who were already interested in getting commissioned work from me. It was very convenient because they didn’t have to ask me for pricing lol.

• Like 39
  • Up 1

Patience is a virtue. You can hand out 100 business cards but That doesn’t mean you’re gonna be rolling in clients the next day.

On 8/5/2019 at 12:20 PM, creatoruin said:

Something I’ve realized with this site, is that you have to be thinking of it as a marketing opportunity. You’ll have to branch out to your other platforms and get people who would normally request work from you, to come over to fiverr and put in that request here. It also helps to let people know that you do indeed have a seller page 😄

My first gig came the first day I set it up, mostly because I let it be known to the people who were already interested in getting commissioned work from me. It was very convenient because they didn’t have to ask me for pricing lol.

I never thought of using it as a price listing platform and push people through it. I just use it as an alternative at the minute but that’s a great idea!

• Like 41

I never thought of using it as a price listing platform and push people through it. I just use it as an alternative at the minute but that’s a great idea!

Yeah I realized it only when I started to set my price! It dawned on me that I could literally promote my fiverr page to those that want to comission art from me, and they could pay to have their drawing done through the site lol. If they ever wanted another piece from me in the future, they could head back over to the page and simply fill out the request there without having to ask how much I charge. 🙂

• Like 38

Yeah I realized it only when I started to set my price! It dawned on me that I could literally promote my fiverr page to those that want to comission art from me, and they could pay to have their drawing done through the site lol. If they ever wanted another piece from me in the future, they could head back over to the page and simply fill out the request there without having to ask how much I charge. 🙂

You’d still have to deal with the 20% commission, though…

• Like 38

Patience is a virtue. You can hand out 100 business cards but That doesn’t mean you’re gonna be rolling in clients the next day.

Totally! That’s a great example.

It’s important to focus on quality and need, not on pumping out as many promotions as possible, hoping some of them will get bites. It doesn’t work that way and makes the person look unprofessional and desperate.

• Like 38

• 2 weeks later...

Do you see business coming from Fiverr or is it all from your personal contacts? How long have you been on here? I just started so just wondering.

• Like 39

Yeah - I’ve just set up my first couple of gigs and dived in here on tips on getting my first order. I’ll wait and be patient. I’ve worked on other freelancing websites before, like Reedsy (coming over because there is a bigger buyer market here), and it does take a while to get your first order. I was lucky enough to get repeat customers on there, but it is just about waiting for your chance and being able to seize it when it comes!

Good luck to everyone here looking for how to be successful. Sometimes you just have to leave it down to luck.

• Like 39

Yeah - I’ve just set up my first couple of gigs and dived in here on tips on getting my first order. I’ll wait and be patient. I’ve worked on other freelancing websites before, like Reedsy (coming over because there is a bigger buyer market here), and it does take a while to get your first order. I was lucky enough to get repeat customers on there, but it is just about waiting for your chance and being able to seize it when it comes!

Good luck to everyone here looking for how to be successful. Sometimes you just have to leave it down to luck.

“it is just about waiting for your chance and being able to seize it when it comes!”

No it isn’t at all. No one gets sales by just waiting. If you aren’t getting sales, there is a problem with your business, not bad luck.

Yes there are many factors here that are out of sellers’ control. But you only compensate for those and get sales if you identify and adapt to the factors you can control.

Successful sellers didn’t become successful out of luck or because they waited.

• Like 39

“it is just about waiting for your chance and being able to seize it when it comes!”

No it isn’t at all. No one gets sales by just waiting. If you aren’t getting sales, there is a problem with your business, not bad luck.

Yes there are many factors here that are out of sellers’ control. But you only compensate for those and get sales if you identify and adapt to the factors you can control.

Successful sellers didn’t become successful out of luck or because they waited.

Okay, I was probably being a little less accurate than I should have been.

You can create your own opportunities, promote yourself, make your gigs and offerings the best they can be. That is all down to you.

However, with a crowded marketplace, and especially as a first time seller without any reviews, there is a little luck and patience involved. I don’t think you can deny that. But if there are tips to getting that first offer I’d love to hear them.

• Like 39

Okay, I was probably being a little less accurate than I should have been.

You can create your own opportunities, promote yourself, make your gigs and offerings the best they can be. That is all down to you.

However, with a crowded marketplace, and especially as a first time seller without any reviews, there is a little luck and patience involved. I don’t think you can deny that. But if there are tips to getting that first offer I’d love to hear them.

Lots you can do despite a crowded marketplace like sell things with high demand and low competition. So you have to research and create gigs strategically. Most sellers here who say they aren’t getting sales are selling extremely competitive things and doing so with no value proposition.

If you aren’t getting sales in April, you aren’t any more likely to get a sale in November unless you adapt. Being idle and hoping for the best is a surefire way to fail. Researching client problems and creating solutions while you wait may change the tide.

Never create a gig before you know what buyers want and what your competition is like. Many sellers create gigs without doing market research. Huge mistake. If what you want to do has thousands of sellers, it probably isn’t worth your time unless you offer something different that has high demand and low competition.

• Like 39

On 8/15/2019 at 10:55 AM, humanissocial said:

Never create a gig before you know what buyers want and what your competition is like. Many sellers create gigs without doing market research. Huge mistake. If what you want to do has thousands of sellers, it probably isn’t worth your time unless you offer something different that has high demand and low competition.

I guess logo design or graphic design generally is one of those gigs that are over saturated here. This is what I offer, and I’m having a hard time getting an order, despite all my efforts. 

• Like 39

On 8/15/2019 at 10:56 AM, tolulopedavid said:

I guess logo design or graphic design generally is one of those gigs that are over saturated here. This is what I offer, and I’m having a hard time getting an order, despite all my efforts.

That would probably explain it, yes. Best to adapt your skills to the marketplace, not try to adapt the marketplace to yourself. It doesn’t work. 

• Like 38
  • Up 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Most of the new sellers think that after making a gig they will immediately get orders and raise a lot of money. But it’s not that easy, It is a competitive marketplace and there are a lot of sellers offering the same services as you do, even If your services are the best out of all of those sellers it still requires a lot of patience.

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet. – Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Many sellers are waiting for an order for weeks and even months.

If you are one of those sellers, you need to be patient. Even if you have the best gig on Fiverr, it will take some time to get an order. You can not just wait for an order - what can you do then?

Patience is not simply the ability to wait — it’s how we behave while we’re waiting — Joyce Meyer

1. Keep learning. There is a lot to learn from this forum! especially, the Fiverr Tips category.

2. Keep improving. There is always room for improvement so, always keep working on improving your gigs and profile.

3. Keep practicing. Practice your skill so that whenever you get an order, you can have the buyer satisfied with your work. Making them give you a nice review and don’t make a gig for something unless you can do it professionally because if a good review can make your profile look trustworthy than a bad review can do the opposite.

4. Never give up. When I first joined Fiverr, I waited for months to get an order. I just gave up thinking that I can’t get an order. But guess what? Just after I had given up, I received a message from an interested buyer. But because I had left Fiverr I missed the chance of getting my very first order and noticed it after 25 days!

• Like 148
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 3:21 PM, umerkhanniazi said:

Most of the new sellers think that after making a gig they will immediately get orders and raise a lot of money. But it’s not that easy, It is a competitive marketplace and there are a lot of sellers offering the same services as you do, even If your services are the best out of all of those sellers it still requires a lot of patience.

Many sellers are waiting for an order for weeks and even months.

If you are one of those sellers, you need to be patient. Even if you have the best gig on Fiverr, it will take some time to get an order. You can not just wait for an order - what can you do then?

1. Keep learning. There is a lot to learn from this forum! especially, the Fiverr Tips category.

2. Keep improving. There is always room for improvement so, always keep working on improving your gigs and profile.

3. Keep practicing. Practice your skill so that whenever you get an order, you can have the buyer satisfied with your work. Making them give you a nice review and don’t make a gig for something unless you can do it professionally because if a good review can make your profile look trustworthy than a bad review can do the opposite.

4. Never give up. When I first joined Fiverr, I waited for months to get an order. I just gave up thinking that I can’t get an order. But guess what? Just after I had given up, I received a message from an interested buyer. But because I had left Fiverr I missed the chance of getting my very first order and noticed it after 25 days!

Uh, I hate to be “that person”, but, looking at your Gigs you have NOT had ONE order or at least, no reviews…also, you just joined in February 2021, so how is it you have “waited months and months”?

Why do I have a feeling you copy/pasted this post from somewhere else? You do realize while trying to “appear” as though you are well spoken and read quoting Rousseau and Joyce Meyer - you look foolish by masquerading as someone you are not.

The giveaway was quoting Joyce Meyer whom I believe is someone pretty much only known to those in the Bible Belt here in the US or in Texas I believe where she is a pastor on TV - For some reason, I just could not swallow that some guy from Pakistan would know to quote Joyce Meyer a Christian preacher - isn’t Pakistan mostly Muslim? Either way, I found both of these quotes on a site called BrainlyQuotes (something like that).

Anyways, I think that you and your post is fraudulent.

Change my mind. I think I will go get some receipts though before you can.

GG 

• Like 70
  • Sad 2
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2