Illustration issue.. not sure what to do? (buyer)

map1984

Hi everyone, I’ve run into a problem with my seller who is making a $100 illustration for me.
He delivered it on time, 2 days ago. The illustration was to a decent standard, but before accepting the order I contacted him via the chat to just make sure the things we agreed on(resolution, cmyk were, at least 2 layers in source file) were done.
Although the resolution was correct, the image/source file was all one layer! Apparently he’d drawn it all as one, quite surprising , but I asked for him to fix that and make it so I could have the background removable as agreed at the start of the job.

36h later he’s come back to me with a quickly cut out layer, and I’ve now seen that the image is also in rgb.

Im dissapointed and I think I’m going to struggle to use the image in any of the ways I intended.
Just to Clarify, this was done through the chat, not the order revision option.
Can anyone(sellers please too) tell me what they think it’s the best way to go with this, I’ve not responded to him yet.
Thanks in advance.

One layer thing is weird but if you told the seller BEFORE you ordered about the resolution, cmyk and source file requirements and you did not get it, I would request a cancelation and if does not accept, contact the Customer Support.

Again, if you told those BEFORE ordering, you have a case but if you said it after he drew the image, then it is your fault.

One layer thing is weird but if you told the seller BEFORE you ordered about the resolution, cmyk and source file requirements and you did not get it, I would request a cancelation and if does not accept, contact the Customer Support.

Again, if you told those BEFORE ordering, you have a case but if you said it after he drew the image, then it is your fault.

Thanks for your reply.

It was all in the brief, top bullet point was cmyk, bottom bullet point was separate layers. Such a shame.

I’m unsure how to cancel! Is it done via the resolution center?

I would not be so hasty to just cancel an order based on the information provided. I would always suggest speaking with the seller, explain / remind them of the agreement and take it from there. The seller might have forgotten, not understood, either way its how they react/respond to this issue, it looks like they have attempted to solve part of the issue, showing they are willing to help. Obviously we do not know the full story either side, but i would highlight your concerns and if the seller refuses and this this goes against the gig you ordered, then you should raise the issue with customer support.

Thanks,

Andrew

Guest ichromatics

Hello there. I’m also in the illustration/ drawing niche too and i have to say that it is unusual to work on one layer. My advice would be to talk to the seller because he clearly took the time to add layers. In 36 hours he could have cropped to background, duplicate it and start to paint it again, basically copying it. I hope your problem get’s resolved! 😃

Although I agree that your experience wasn’t great so far and the seller should have paid a lot more attention to requirements and be professional, I also can’t help but feel that cancellation would be a little too harsh.

If you are happy with the illustration overal and those mistakes made by seller don’t make it entirely unusable for your purposes, I would insist on more revisions instead of going for cancellation right away. Even if it means repainting whatever you need on a separate layer for the seller, it is his responsibility to fix his mistakes.

As far as color profile goes, it is not clear (or maybe I missed it somehow) whether the original delivery was in cmyk. If it was, meaning the artist worked within cmyk palette to begin with, and just made a mistake when saving updated file for the second delivery, that shouldn’t be hard to fix.

Although I agree that your experience wasn’t great so far and the seller should have paid a lot more attention to requirements and be professional, I also can’t help but feel that cancellation would be a little too harsh.

If you are happy with the illustration overal and those mistakes made by seller don’t make it entirely unusable for your purposes, I would insist on more revisions instead of going for cancellation right away. Even if it means repainting whatever you need on a separate layer for the seller, it is his responsibility to fix his mistakes.

As far as color profile goes, it is not clear (or maybe I missed it somehow) whether the original delivery was in cmyk. If it was, meaning the artist worked within cmyk palette to begin with, and just made a mistake when saving updated file for the second delivery, that shouldn’t be hard to fix.

Hi, it makes the file hard to work with. Sadly the psd’s colour profile is Rgb. I feel rather guilty about asking to cancel but Im leaning that way, he seems a nice guy but at the end of the day I don’t think I can use the work. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks Andrew. As both native English speakers I can’t see how he’s not done these simple requirements correctly, in a message when I asked about layers he said he’s not very organised, no kidding!

My advice, speak with the seller, explain that you need the requirements to be met before you can sign off the work (providing that is what was ordered/agreed). You can also request a revision on the order and mention this within the revision request (assume that you have not signed off the work). If that fails, then you can of course escalate this further.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thanks for your reply.

It was all in the brief, top bullet point was cmyk, bottom bullet point was separate layers. Such a shame.

I’m unsure how to cancel! Is it done via the resolution center?

Yes, from the resolution center.

Others are right to tell you to talk with the seller but working on one layer is suspicious enough as it is.

Maybe give them a day and if they don’t provide the illustration to you specifications, go for cancelation.

Yes, from the resolution center.

Others are right to tell you to talk with the seller but working on one layer is suspicious enough as it is.

Maybe give them a day and if they don’t provide the illustration to you specifications, go for cancelation.

I’ve actually decided to go for the cancellation, I’ve explained in detail about the issues and how he’s made it very hard for me to do anything with(intended to be printed hence the colour profile) and more often than not have a different background applied,which was why I wanted the source file and the background on a different layer.

I sell online and know what it’s like having customers complain, so I’ve no intention of leaving a bad review at this point, but hopefully he learns from it for future gigs!

Thanks so much for all the replies everyone, hopefully I don’t sound like a nightmare customer!

Hi again everyone, the seller has told me he also has the file in Cmyk, I can’t think how this can be, he’s simply going to switch photoshop to the other mode and lose more quality. On top of this he says he has made it into layers, but again, I requested it made with a separate background layer, the image I have is simply a foreground character cut out of the background, the edges hard as if cut from a magazine.
He’s declined my cancellation, the only option I see is to request cancellation again, I’m not sure he’s ever going to agree with me, does fiverr take a look at any point?

Okay, you might have a legitimate reason to cancel, or at least to take the issue to Customer Support for their input.

I’ve contacted customer support, the issues are just too big for my project to get around. Not enjoyed doing that but I can’t afford to just accept the mistakes. Thanks again for help.

Archived